Changing planer knives
Colleagues: do believe it is time to change the knives on the 15” planer. Luckily, there is no taper width wise. I have an upcoming project that may require the planer to be utilized more than before. And to say the least, I am a bit apprehensive about do it as seems that everything I hear is the job is a PITA. 

Some claim that the jointer/planer knife jigs, like the one below really simplifies the task and shortens the time to do it -- https://www.infinitytools.com/planer-knife-setting-jigs

Has anyone utilized such jigs and how did they work or did not work out.
Which planer?

I use the supplied gauge that comes with my 20" Grizzly. Very easy job. 15 minutes to change 4 blades.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Which planer do you have? If you have for example a benchtop DeWalt with pins that position the knives, that jig would not be useful. My planer has jack screws so that jig would not be useful. I had a Delta 22-540 where the knives were pushed out of the cutterhead by springs and the factory jig pushed against the knives to position them. I had a mini version of that infinity jig and it worked pretty well.

I don't find changing planer knives that bad but then i don't use my planer that much so change knives maybe a couple times a year. If I were a production shop where I was changing knives every week or two I'd probably feel differently.
Sorry about any confusion. Planer is a GeeTech-Sunhill CT 382, 15x6". Been in the shop forever, just never use it that much. And of course, I cannot find the OEM knife setting jig.
Ray, when i had a Benchtop (elta) I bought the cheap Planer Pals made for those units. It was the only way I could get the knives set...and I still had the factory jig (which wasn't all that good anyway). I'm not sure my benchtop experience experience translates over to a stationary, but that's it for what it's worth. BTW, there's a set of Woodstock pals for sale down in S&S, the ones I had were Woodstock, but a phelonic version that was for the smaller diameter heads on benchtops.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
To work properly, not to just work, your knives need to be set at some specific height.  That height depends on the planner and will be different on each one.  So you just need some way to hold/adjust the blade to that specific height.  Some planers will have that built in the knifes. Others, like mine, have nothing to help you line them up.

You need to measure the height of the blades now and use something to get them back to that height.  What you show could do that and I am actually thinking about buying a set. My old PM-100 is a pain to get the heights just right on. 

BUT, there are lots of different ways to accomplish this as you can tell by al the comments.  I currently use a dial indicator, a small hammer and a piece of brass to tap them in place. But as I said, it is a real pain in the butt and very slow, but it works. The jig you show will work on all my machines, each is different blade height so that appeals to me.

Bob (Robert) Vaughn has a really detailed video on planner set up. I restored mine, had it completely apart and used his video to adjsut it once I had it back together.  Mine worked perfect from the first pass.  It is pretty detailed but it really helps to understand how the planer works.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

I have the WoodCraft version of those knife setting jigs, and used them to set the height of the knives on my Foley Belsaw planer.  They worked well.  Simple and easy.  You set their initial height before removing the knives from your machine.  

John
Colleagues: thanks for the information.  Finally found the wrenches, knife jig, etc., for the planer. Re-read the manual which, indicated knives are spring loaded. Of course it does not indicate the direction to turn the screws to loosen or tighten.

Before I tackle this task, will start doing some stretching exercises in case need to adjust the rollers, chipbreaker, etc. Getting “at that age” where I am not as limber as I was. 

Watched the Infinity Tools video for utilizing the jig I earlier referenced. Had some interesting tips and will purchase the jig to help setting the knives to their original height. Also apply penetrating oil to screws a day or so prior to help loosen things up.

Again, thanks.
Jigs are gauging off the roller, not the bed, so they only work if the roller is absolutely parallel to the bed.

I would check that first.

+1 on limbering up, especially if like me, you gauge off the bed, not the roller.

IMO it pays to also check the pressure bar, chip breaker and roller alignment.
Here's an oldie but the principles are the same pretty much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSM7Jrg34a8