Help to determine fair selling price
Looking for honest opinions on estimated value on the following. My father passed last year and left me a garage full of tools. Unfortunately I don’t have room for it all. Looking to sell Grizzly joiner, Delta plainer and Craftsman table saw with wood base but have no idea what a fair price on these should be. All run but Joiner needs blades. I believe there’s a new set of blades and tool to set blades for plainer. Also just had plainer power switch repaired. Pictures attached.

Attached Files Image(s)

How wide is the planer?
Welcome to Woodnet. 

Thread moved to Power Tools in hopes of getting you better answers in an appropriate forum.

Unfortunately, you asked the equivalent of "What is the fair market value of my Ford car." without giving car model or year.

Used tool prices are going to have huge variations based on location. Saying where the tools are located (roughly) is a prerequisite in getting you good answers. Also, location will help WNers know if you are somewhere that they can offer you help or consider buying a tool when you reach that point. As an example, I might be interested in the jointer if it is in the Tampa area, but would have no interest if it is in the Los Angeles area.

Posting tool model numbers is necessary. N.B.: tool model numbers - not motor model numbers.

A pic of the tool label with model and serial numbers might get you the best feedback available. Variations in the logo and other label features can help some of the really knowledgeable WNers estimate age and country of origin. Made in USA will generally have higher value than made in mainland China.

I assume that the planer pic is from before the power switch was replaced.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
No doubt more info is needed. I'm guessing that jointer is an 8" (?) a nd the planer actually appears to be one of the 13" models. But the area the tools are in will make a difference as well. In circumstances like this there are always sharks looking to get something for nothing, and then flip the tool for a big profit...I hope that doesn't happen to you. Post back with more pictures and info and we can hone in on a fair amount, bear in mind there will still be a wide difference of opinion.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
$900.00 to a $1000.00 for all if working.
(02-08-2021, 07:26 AM)fall Wrote: $900.00 to a $1000.00 for all if working.

Without much more to go on, I'd say this is a pretty good estimate. I was gonna say $450 jointer, $400 tablesaw, $600 planer so maybe a tad higher but I think $1,000 for all is probably more realistic.

I've had better luck selling tools on FB marketplace lately than Craigslist.

Edit to add: Are you keeping all the small tools/ accessories? Don't discount the value of all the wood, hand tools, small power tools, etc. I'd guess the value of the sum of all my non-stationary power tools exceeds the value of all of my big machines put together.
Honestly, the best thing to do (if you want to maximize your profit) is to look on your local CL and FB marketplace, see what things are selling for.
Don't ask on this forum. People here are deal seekers and bottom feeders for bargains. This comment is not targeted to people that responded to you,
trying to help.. it's a generalization of this whole forum.

Is the table saw a contractor's saw that was put on a wooden base, or is it a direct drive saw? That makes a huge difference in price/quality
It looks like a contractor's saw. Worth more than 400. 8 inch jointers sell for quite a bit here, they don't come up very often.
Not sure about the planer, but that's probably worth quite a bit too.

You can always start high and drop the price a couple days later.

1000 for all three is WAY selling yourself short.
Sell them separately. IF you do a package deal, you are just asking for someone to come, lowball you even more, and then resell them for a profit.
I wonder if the saw is really worth what some suggested considering it has a shop fabricated fence system? What does a fence system go for these days?

I also agree that more information is needed about the saw.
Used, belt drive, cast iron Sears table saws go for about $150 around me.  The $900 - $1000 suggested earlier seems about right to me.  

John
(02-08-2021, 10:21 AM)paulWoodworker Wrote: Honestly, the best thing to do (if you want to maximize your profit) is to look on your local CL and FB marketplace, see what things are selling for.
Don't ask on this forum. People here are deal seekers and bottom feeders for bargains. This comment is not targeted to people that responded to you,
trying to help.. it's a generalization of this whole forum.

Is the table saw a contractor's saw that was put on a wooden base, or is it a direct drive saw? That makes a huge difference in price/quality
It looks like a contractor's saw. Worth more than 400.   8 inch jointers sell for quite a bit here, they don't come up very often.
Not sure about the planer, but that's probably worth quite a bit too.

You can always start high and drop the price a couple days later.

1000 for all three is WAY selling yourself short.
Sell them separately. IF you do a package deal, you are just asking for someone to come, lowball you even more, and then resell them for a profit.

The biggest problem I see is the jointer and planer are in parts and pieces. I realize these photos might not be what he plans on using to post for sale, but as-is, as-posted that planer and jointer are not going to bring top-dollar without some other mitigating factors. And craftsman contractor saws don't bring more than $500 around here.

But agreed all-around, don't sell as a set and more info is needed to get an honest estimate on value.