Please help ID this wood
Please help me identify this piece of wood. This and other pieces were pulled from a old barn in the Lansing Michigan area. Putting it through my planer i can say it seemed VERY hard. Thanks for looking at my wood.
Norm

Attached Files Image(s)

Not a great grain picture.
Could be black cherry.
Definitely Bug infested.
Don’t mix it with clean stock.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I have never seen powder post Beatles in black cherry
and that does not look like any of the black cherry that I have seen
That sort of looks like beach grain and color or maple PPB love maple (no clue if that is what it is )
But Garry is correct do not mix that with other stock it is or has had a bug investation looks like PPB damage
Same photo, lightened up, and close up.

Attached Files Image(s)

(02-07-2021, 11:11 AM)NORM ABRAHAM Wrote: Same photo, lightened up, and close up.

Elm, perhaps. An end grain photo would help.  I made a crapload (intended) of "rustic" frames from weathered elm salvaged from an outhouse near Stockbridge.  Nobody'd buy elm back when, so it was a GP wood.

IIRC, it smelled like elm when I charred the new cuts even after a hundred alleged years of use, not like its contents....
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Hard Maple.

Ed
(02-07-2021, 07:59 AM)NORM ABRAHAM Wrote: Please help me identify this piece of wood. This and other pieces were pulled from a old barn in the Lansing Michigan area. Putting it through my planer i can say it seemed VERY hard. Thanks for looking at my wood.
Norm

What types of trees are in your area, within a hundred miles.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-07-2021, 11:08 AM)oakey Wrote: I have never seen powder post Beatles in black cherry
and that does not look like any of the black cherry that I have seen
That sort of looks like beach grain and color or maple PPB love maple (no clue if that is what it is )
But Garry is correct do not mix that with other stock it is or has had a bug  investation  looks like PPB damage

In north central FL, sometimes the black cherry grows along creek banks or in swampy areas and will get a mineral stain which has this appearance on the face.
I had PPBs get into my BC in the wood stack from some infected maple.
It happens.

Not saying it’s BC, that was one guess. End and edge grain pics needed.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.