Blum Tru Motion Undermount Slide Tight
Good day everyone.

I am making a 6 drawer chest and using the BTMU's for the first time.  I spent a good deal of time making sure everything is square and measurements are right.  I made half blind dovetails drawers and will install false fronts.  After installing, some of the drawers are "tight".  They take a little more effort to close.  I have not glued up the drawers.  I was thinking of 2 options>
1 - take the sides off drawers and remove a 1/16 to 3/32" from the front and back.  Then dovetail those pieces again.  Note, all dovetail equipment is still set as is so it is ready to go.
2 - Hope sanding after glue up removes what I need

Lesson learned:  make the drawers 1/16 to 3/32 smaller and shim to get right.

Also, Since I have 6 INSET drawer fronts, would you recommend the Blum Drawer front adjusters?  I have never used.  Usually I use double sided tape and figure it out.  However, I want this one to be "special"

Attached Files Image(s)

i don't know what the "true motion" slides are... do you mean the tandems?  563 or 763?

for the width - it's very formulaic and well defined.  there's a table that dictates - depending on your exact drawer side width - how much narrower to make the drawer relative to the opening.  if you can't find the table, i can post it here for your reference.  if you make the drawer the appropriate width given the opening width, your drawers won't bind.
oh - and for the drawer front buttons - i use those with great result.  they are terrific, and by far the easiest way i've found to align and install inset drawer fronts.  strongly recommended.
I have no experience with undermount guides...
The drawers in the picture do not appear to be touching the sides, if that is true, shaving off the drawer sides will have no effect.

On another note: I have installed 50+ soft close drawers in the last few years.  On each of them, the drawer was very stiff to close the first time.

Good luck and let us know what works.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Thanks.  These are the 563.  It was definitely one of the most daunting measurement projects I have done.  Blum instructions are clear but I was also trying to keep the depth of the cabinet to as minimla as possible.  It all worked out fine and I am sure future ones will go in easier (though not as easy as side mounts - totally different game).

I made the drawers to the exact size that the Blum calculations came to and all pieces are very square.

Thanks for info on the front buttons.  I will order them to make it better
(02-08-2021, 04:58 PM)zoepup Wrote: Thanks.  These are the 563.  It was definitely one of the most daunting measurement projects I have done.  Blum instructions are clear but I was also trying to keep the depth of the cabinet to as minimla as possible.  It all worked out fine and I am sure future ones will go in easier (though not as easy as side mounts - totally different game).

I made the drawers to the exact size that the Blum calculations came to and all pieces are very square.

Thanks for info on the front buttons.  I will order them to make it better

i've installed pallets of 563s.  the drawer should slip onto the slides with a hair of side to side play, and it should move absolutely freely on the first pass.  can you post a photo of the drawer, on the slides, face-on?
(02-08-2021, 07:38 PM)zaret Wrote: i've installed pallets of 563s.  the drawer should slip onto the slides with a hair of side to side play, and it should move absolutely freely on the first pass.  can you post a photo of the drawer, on the slides, face-on?

I agree with Zaret.  I've put tons of 563s on my drawers and if done correctly they slide beautifully first time.  Make sure the slides are parallel.  

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
(02-09-2021, 09:43 AM)Joel H. Wrote: I agree with Zaret.  I've put tons of 563s on my drawers and if done correctly they slide beautifully first time.  Make sure the slides are parallel.  

Joel
I live in NE FL.

That's a beautiful area of Florida I love it out there. Or should I say South Alabama?

:-D
Thanks everyone.  I am going to go into the shop later today and take more photos and videos.  I will double confirm they are parallel.

One more question.  My shop is an unheated building.  I turn on the propane heater when working and the work area gets to about 45-55 depending on outside temperature.  If I move the heater closer to the cabinet, it is warmer than that.  I doubt the cold would have anything to do with this but throwing it out there anyway
(02-09-2021, 01:42 PM)rwe2156 Wrote: I live in NE FL.

That's a beautiful area of Florida I love it out there.  Or should I say South Alabama?

:-D

We referred to it as "LA" - Lower Alabama
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!