LN #6 found one
The price of all Lie Nielsens tools went up in price considerably. If you go on there web page you'll see almost everything is backordered or they stopped production on some. So if anyone is going to sell one then they should do there homework and check Ebay for the going rate and not short
change yourself.
(02-24-2021, 02:59 PM)jpop Wrote: The price of all Lie Nielsens  tools went up in price considerably. If you go on there web page you'll see almost everything is backordered or they stopped production on some. So if  anyone is going to sell one then they should do there homework and check Ebay for the going rate and not short
change yourself.

The "going rate" on eBay is always on what has been sold, not what has been asked. Prices are also time-sensitive and experienced eBay sellers know that a high price for an item will almost always result in more of the same coming to auction, and as a result the price falls. That is exactly what has happened with recent sales of the LN #6, as an even cursory examination of the history shows.
Bump, still looking.
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."

Thomas Jefferson
Still still looking.
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."

Thomas Jefferson
I can't knock the beauty and usefulness of a nice plane like this. But I wonder if this whole situation in the world might cause a growth in the making of wooden planes. Might be easier than trying to find a LN. Not trying to discourage. Hope you score one!
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
Bump, still looking for one.

Thomas Jefferson
It’s worth what you paid for it.  I personally believe that taking advantage of stock shortages and asking 2x MSRP for a used tool is not right.  Ebay has become a Haven for scalpers and gougers.  

I wish that the woodworking/hand tool community would abstain from that type of behavior.  As a community we should be helping one another and selling things at fair/reasonable prices if there is something you don’t need that another person does need.

I met an outstanding dude here when I was looking for a LN #7 or #8.  He had an 8 that he wasn’t using; it was in perfect condition.  He offered to sell it to me for $390.  I will forever be grateful for this, and will never forget it as I use the plane for the rest of my life.  I now keep in touch with him and gained a friend out of the deal too.

We love tools because we use them to create beautiful things.  They provide us with joy and a sense of accomplishment, and I like to see others experience those same feelings.  I think that people should think about that before they try selling a used tool for twice the amount that the MSRP for a new one usually costs.  There’s only one instance where I think it’s fair to ask for more than the MSRP, and that’s when something is never going to be produced again.  

If you are like me and don’t like how people are trying to profit off of covid related stock shortages, you can fight back by refusing to buy overpriced items.  Every time someone pays these absurd prices, the situation gets worse.  It’ll get to the point where people who don’t even use tools set up computer programs to instantly buy all stock as soon as it releases, and then resell it on eBay for twice the cost.  Then no one will be able to buy quality tools for anything close to MSRP.  It’s happened with sneakers, video games, computer parts, other electronics, and all kind of other products.

If you buy from these people, you are screwing yourself along with the rest of the woodworking community.  Not to mention, you are just giving people tons of money when they haven’t done anything to earn it.  

Refuse to pay these greedy advantageous prices and tell everyone you know to do the same.
(02-24-2021, 02:59 PM)jpop Wrote: The price of all Lie Nielsens  tools went up in price considerably. If you go on there web page you'll see almost everything is backordered or they stopped production on some. So if  anyone is going to sell one then they should do there homework and check Ebay for the going rate and not short
change yourself.

It isn't that you are WRONG...technically. It's just that this place is regarded as a "community" by some that participate here and that often times (surely not all), market value is not really expected.  The term "woodnet price" has been used frequently.  So if someone is looking for max value,  then you can but many will not appreciate it and think you are gouging them. Take my thoughts with whatever size of salt grains you want but this is my opinion.  I have had transactions here that would never have had happened on CL or ebay etc. Three of us from different parts of the country exchanged goods with no $ changing hands....trust and honor was given. This "community" affords those types opportunities.  Other have had similar experiences.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
In the midst of lots of good conversation,

1. Is the original poster still looking?  

2. What is a fair price for a LN 6?
Not anymore Taxman, I found one

Thomas Jefferson