Drum sander...buy new or used?
Question 
I love old tools.  All my stationary equipment is old and was bought used by me.  Well, two pieces (PM 66 and Delta 14" BS) aren't all that old, but they're both mid-90's American made so I think that counts.

The next tool I have a need for is an open-end drum sander.  Is this an area where I should bite the bullet and buy new or are there earlier models that are considered superior to what can be had today?  I'm slowly fleshing out my side business and this tool would increase my efficiency a *lot* by speeding up the sanding process, else I wouldn't be considering it.  If I should buy used, then I'll just need to wait a few extra weeks to make the sales needed to pay cash, so I'm not too concerned about price (within reason!).

I'm more concerned with ease-of-use and good performance.

I have a 3hp, 14" impeller DC that only pulls on one tool at a time so I think it'll work for the 19-38" range I'm considering.

Thoughts?
Semper fi,
Brad

I, too, try to buy used whenever possible.  I've had two drum sanders now, both used, and both performed as good as new.  I had a Delta 1836 that I put a LOT of hours on.  I had an issue with one of the shaft bearings that required a repair, and the belt was always a challenge to keep tracking straight, but I don't think buying new would have eliminated either issue, just perhaps delayed the bearing failure.  I now have a General International 24" double drum sander.  Everything about it is like a new machine.  This one's a long term keeper.  

I paid about 50% the price of a new machine for the Delta and sold it after 4 years for 80% of what I paid for it.  I paid about 60% of new for the GI.  Buying new makes no sense to me if you can find a good used one.  I only consider machines owned by hobbiests as they rarely wear out a machine.    

John
Well, some of the newer ones have some nice features that you might want. I,too, had one of the Delta 18/36, one of the first models (31-250). While mine was a workhorse and never gave me any problems, that wasn't true for a lot of folks. The later models (31-255 and up) ironed out many of the bugs, but they still have spring fingers break and other minor things...things that you can't  buy off the shelf replacements for. So I think if you buy used like a Woodmaster or one of the heavier models like John has, or maybe a Performax you can do very well. But the new Supermax 19/38 has some things like easy tilt of the sanding bed when doing very wide panels, the Intellisand feature, and a table that wider than the belt that you might really like. I sold my Delta 6-7 years ago and went without, but 2 years ago I wanted to replace it and I went with the Supermax 19/38. I'm not a heavy user so I have no idea how it would do in a commercial shop, but overall it's a nice machine. Even better, they were made in the US initially,,,so if you find an older used one it might be USA made. Mine is from Taiwan, Laguna bought them out and move the manufacture overseas. It's still a good machine, but it's not USA.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-11-2021, 02:23 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Well, some of the newer ones have some nice features that you might want. I,too, had one of the Delta 18/36, one of the first models (31-250). While mine was a workhorse and never gave me any problems, that wasn't true for a lot of folks. The later models (31-255 and up) ironed out many of the bugs, but they still have spring fingers break and other minor things...things that you can't  buy off the shelf replacements for. So I think if you buy used like a Woodmaster or one of the heavier models like John has, or maybe a Performax you can do very well. But the new Supermax 19/38 has some things like easy tilt of the sanding bed when doing very wide panels, the Intellisand feature, and a table that wider than the belt that you might really like. I sold my Delta 6-7 years ago and went without, but 2 years ago I wanted to replace it and I went with the Supermax 19/38. I'm not a heavy user so I have no idea how it would do in a commercial shop, but overall it's a nice machine. Even better, they were made in the US initially,,,so if you find an older used one it might be USA made. Mine is from Taiwan, Laguna bought them out and move the manufacture overseas. It's still a good machine, but it's not USA.

I just looked at a video review of the 19/28, and it looks like it has the same conveyor adjustments and paper spring clip design as the older units (like my Performax 16/32)... both of which I think are/were  common trouble spots for a lot of users.  Other than the easy tilt bed, what makes it better?
I don't think I said it was "better", I just said it had some newer features that might be useful. One thing I really like is the bed is 22 /2" wide, instead of just being the width of the drum. The Intellisand feature is probably useful as well. I say "probably" because in my use I haven't triggered it yet, but it automatically slows the feed if your overloading the drum motor. A really minor feature is built in wrenches for the belt adjustment, which I've also never had to screw with. One thing they didn't improve that really honks me off is that puny 4" dust port connection...I meqn why in the heel can't it be at least 5"; or even better 6"? On my old Delta I made a complete new top just to have a 6" port....that's something I haven't done yet with this one.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have had 3 drum sanders all used and upgraded when I found a better model. Started with a delta 18” to performax 18 and now performax 22. If you can find one used I wouldn’t hesitate.