Miter bar upgrade by handi
I stumbled across this video on youtube, and I recognized him as handi from here on the Woodsmith site.  I just followed his upgrade ideas for the miter bars of two of my table saw sleds that have steel runners.  

Miter Gauge Upgrade - YouTube

It took a little while, but I took my time.  I also added 5 setscrews instead of 3 per miter bar.  The miter bars now have absolutely zero slop, and still slide nicely with the nylon setscrews that I got at Grainger.  I think this was well worth the effort.

I am wondering if anyone else has done this, and if you have found that the setscrews stay in place, or move over time.  Or if it might be a good idea to put something on the threads to prevent the setscrews from turning too easily.  I am not sure what that might be - maybe a small smear of silicone caulk in the threads.

I just finished this today, so I don't have any in-use experience.
Steve
Glad you liked the video! 

I have not had issues thus far with the set screws backing off. If you do, a touch of Loc-Tite should keep it in place. Wear over time is more the issue.

I have the Osborne EB3. It is awesome, and amazingly accurate. But I actually find myself using the upgraded factory miter gauge as often as the Osborne.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I made an auxiliary fence for my factory miter gauge and love it. While I don't need to tighten mine up to the slot at this time, I thoroughly enjoyed the video. I bookmarked it for future reference. Excellent job.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(02-20-2021, 08:31 AM)museumguy Wrote: I made an auxiliary fence for my factory miter gauge and love it. While I don't need to tighten mine up to the slot at this time, I thoroughly enjoyed the video. I bookmarked it for future reference. Excellent job.

Thank you!
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.