a knife for cutting veneer
I am making shop sawn veneers that are maybe 1/16" (1.6mm) and find myself cutting through them with my marking knife. This is clearly not doing my marking knife any favors and I wish I had something better for the task. Is the answer a simple razor blade holding utility knife, or is there something else I should consider?
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
I really enjoyed one project with 1/16" thick veneer, this past year.

Certain cross-grain cuts I actually carried out with a mitre box!   Other with-grain cuts I used my Veritas cutting gage for.

One time I had a vintage Disston veneer saw, but never got proficient with it.

So I guess the thick veneer may be hard on knives, but on the flip side it may afford some actual sawing approaches well.

Good luck!
Chris
(02-15-2021, 12:30 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: I am making shop sawn veneers that are maybe 1/16" (1.6mm) and find myself cutting through them with my marking knife. This is clearly not doing my marking knife any favors and I wish I had something better for the task. Is the answer a simple razor blade holding utility knife, or is there something else I should consider?

If you have an old bench knife or shop knife with a curved edge, you can make a very good veneer knife { aka fine toothed saw } out of it...Make sure it is sharp, then hold the knife as shown in the photo and strike the back of the knife and drive the edge into the teeth of a person file...repeat as necessary..Almost any old knife { or any old file will do } as long as the edge of the blade is curved...just "rock" the blade as you strike it to "imprint" the "teeth" into the edge...You will be surprised at how useful this edge can be for marking etc..Really small knives done in this fashion can come in handy for carving also..

And I might add that it is great for defining the lines when checkering stocks etc...
Winkgrin  

[Image: fullsizeoutput-fed.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Veneer that thick I use a saw and a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 thick block of wood with sandpaper on the down side.
I have a veneer saw that gave me results that were rough. A friend has suggested sharpening the new veneer saw, explaining that they come like planes and chisels, i.e. not ready for best use fresh from the vendor. I did not know this and am going to do just this.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure