Carving knife review
I recently received two knives from Amazon..Brand HUTSULS..and made in Western Ukraine and Romania....one is a hook knife and the other is an "upswept" edged knife with 2 1/2" hollow ground blade...Rc is at least 60 but could be as high as 62 in hardness...A sharp file just "skates" on it.. Out of the box they will shave hair, but it's a simple task to go way beyond just shaving hair...the hair just "pops" off your arm when the blades are "touched up" on an Arkansas hone and then stropped. If you have done this, you know what I am saying.... and they pass the paper towel test without "slicing"..just using a "push-cut"....Both knives delivered for $16.95..The only negative about them is the curve of the handles...the rear of the handle needs to be more "rounded" to make them comfortable to use for very long periods...but that is a simple matter to correct...I ordered them because other knives are selling for $30.00 each and I just wondered how these could be any good at just over half that for TWO knives....They passed the test and they wont be going back....

[Image: Lo-Cxq-Hwt-QZu3-Ufkn-9-RR-Q.jpg]

[Image: yt-MVt-Anz-TMa-J1-Alj-You0-YA.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-16-2021, 02:27 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: I recently received two knives from Amazon..Brand HUTSULS..and made in Western Ukraine and Romania....one is a hook knife and the other is an "upswept" edged knife with 2 1/2" hollow ground blade...Rc is at least 60 but could be as high as 62 in hardness...A sharp file just "skates" on it.. Out of the box they will shave hair, but it's a simple task to go way beyond just shaving hair...the hair just "pops" off your arm when the blades are "touched up" on an Arkansas hone and then stropped. 

How long are the "tangs," and why don't they have rivets?  Guess you'll find out when you rehandle them.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(02-16-2021, 02:49 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: How long are the "tangs," and why don't they have rivets?  Guess you'll find out when you rehandle them.
How long are the "tangs," and why don't they have rivets?  Guess you'll find out when you rehandle them.

I just checked the handle to see how far the blade was set into the machined opening and it is 2 1/4"..It is set VERY firmly into the ash {?} handle..ZERO wiggle...They are not glued in but if they ever do get loose, I would just work the recess full of epoxy and that should take care of that..I made a knife over thirty yrs ago which I still have { made of HSS which I could not drill } and the scales are epoxied on..no rivets...same with a backsaw..Two piece Brass spine just epoxied to the blade. JB Weld....

No "re-handle",,,Just "round over" the end of the existing handle....

edit
[Image: fullsizeoutput-640.jpg]

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Jack,
Thanks for  the information. I've been looking at hook knives and putting off because of either prices or reviews. Hope these are as good as you say. Just ordered the 3 knife "kit" for $25.99 because of the small whittlin' detail knife included and the gloves, etc. And no shipping to boot. Don't think I can lose much for the price. Would make a decent "starter" set.
-AJ (wood2woodknot)

(02-17-2021, 01:23 AM)wood2woodknot Wrote: Jack,
Thanks for  the information. I've been looking at hook knives and putting off because of either prices or reviews. Hope these are as good as you say. Just ordered the 3 knife "kit" for $25.99 because of the small whittlin' detail knife included and the gloves, etc. And no shipping to boot. Don't think I can lose much for the price. Would make a decent "starter" set.
-AJ (wood2woodknot)
The only "con" I see with the knives is the shape of the handles..but that is easy to fix..or the blades could be removed and reinstalled in handles you make yourself to fit your hands.. If you have a rotary tool like the Dremel, you can use a felt bobb with some polish to put a very keen edge on the hook....And as you say, the price is right!! Most hook knives alone would cost more than the three you ordered..And I like the fact that they are not made in China...
Winkgrin
Hope you like them,
Jack

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-17-2021, 01:23 AM)wood2woodknot Wrote: Jack,
-AJ (wood2woodknot)

Ordering today. Had to wait for bank to transfer $$ to my PayPal account. Thanks for the tip. Should be good enough for a first time hook knife.

These look just like the Beavercraft tools. Both made in the Ukraine. I have the Beavercraft spoon carving set. Not a bad set. Costs somewhat more than this brand.

The only down side is they don't hold an edge as long as I might like. The sloyd knife is the best of the bunch IMO.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
I ordered the three piece set based on Jack's first post; delivered last week.  I'm going to have to spend time learning/practicing sharpening that hook knife.

I wish I had a stock of green wood.  As it is, I've been setting aside scrap pieces of cherry, sycamore, and walnut for spoons and other kitchen utensils.  But they're all bone dry, and much harder to hollow out.
(02-23-2021, 07:55 PM)WxMan Wrote: I ordered the three piece set based on Jack's first post; delivered last week.  I'm going to have to spend time learning/practicing sharpening that hook knife.

I wish I had a stock of green wood.  As it is, I've been setting aside scrap pieces of cherry, sycamore, and walnut for spoons and other kitchen utensils.  But they're all bone dry, and much harder to hollow out.
Try soaking it in water overnight...You could add a few drops of glycerine if you had any..Makes it a little easier to work.

Wrap thin leather around a wood dowel for the inside of the hook..If you "butt joint or scarf joint" the leather and glue it to the dowel, you could mount it in your hand drill..but be careful...

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-16-2021, 02:27 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: I recently received two knives from Amazon..Brand HUTSULS..and made in Western Ukraine and Romania....one is a hook knife and the other is an "upswept" edged knife with 2 1/2" hollow ground blade...Rc is at least 60 but could be as high as 62 in hardness...A sharp file just "skates" on it.. Out of the box they will shave hair, but it's a simple task to go way beyond just shaving hair...the hair just "pops" off your arm when the blades are "touched up" on an Arkansas hone and then stropped. If you have done this, you know what I am saying.... and they pass the paper towel test without "slicing"..just using a "push-cut"....Both knives delivered for $16.95..The only negative about them is the curve of the handles...the rear of the handle needs to be more "rounded" to make them comfortable to use for very long periods...but that is a simple matter to correct...I ordered them because other knives are selling for $30.00 each and I just wondered how these could be any good at just over half that for TWO knives....They passed the test and they wont be going back....

[Image: Lo-Cxq-Hwt-QZu3-Ufkn-9-RR-Q.jpg]

[Image: yt-MVt-Anz-TMa-J1-Alj-You0-YA.jpg]
Jack,
Do you know if a left hand model is available? Otherwise they look good.