glass clad cabinet doors
I saw an interesting take on shaker cabinet doors on TV the other day.

Apparently, the "frame" was assembled with dowels or tenons to the size of the door.  No slot was milled to accept the glass. 

The example I saw had the frame done in black paint, and then a sheet of glass was glued to the front surface of the glass.  I am guessing that the rear surface was painted black to hide any telltale of the adhesive used for this.  The painted area would just cover the area that was covering the wood frame.

It was a very contemporary treatment. 

I am assuming that they used double strength glass (1/8" thick).  Is tempered glass required for this application? It looked very contemporary.  The glass looked to be slightly tinted. 

They only showed it in passing and repeated looks did not reveal much more.  I googled looking for information on this but could find nothing. 

The edges of the glass would have to be ground smooth.  If it is tempered glass it would get very expensive.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I've not seen any doors like that, but I suspect you'd want safety glass in case it ever breaks.
I think you are right about the safety glass.  This is probably only feasible for factory standard-sized doors where they can order larger amounts of glass and keep the costs down.  It did look very cool though.

Are the inserted glass panels in cabinet doors tempered?

I found this online.  Tempered sounds optional.  I also found a post that said that any glass within 18" of the floor needed to be tempered.  I could not find anything absolutely definitive.

https://www.madisonglass.net/glass-options-for-cabinets
The standard thickness for glass in cabinets is 1/8" which is light enough that your door won't feel heavy, but thicker than single strength glass so it's not as easily broken. There is also the option to have tempered glass in your cabinets as well. There aren't as many obscure pattern options available in tempered glass, but tempered glass is much harder to break. Tempered glass is a safety glass and when the glass breaks it will break into little pieces to reduce the risk of injury. 
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I used standard 1/4" cut glass, ordered from our local glass shop.
I built and assembled the doors the same as raised panel doors.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020