Got Voles?!!!
Earlier this winter I noticed some tracks in my front lawn that I thought was mole damage, but upon noticing more tracks today in my back yard as the snow in my yard has started to melt, I have determined that they are from Voles and not Moles.  ARGH!!!  Anyway, I'm seeking your help in the best way to get rid of them.  Is this something that I can do myself or should I hire an exterminator?  Also, do I have to wait until all the snow is gone or is there something I can do now to try and prevent further damage?  My fear is that they are going to multiply and continue building their tracks all over my lawn even if it is snow covered.

It figures this would happen.  Last Fall I dethatched and over-seeded hoping to have a beautiful lawn once Spring arrives.  Now it looks like I may have to play Bill Murray's role in CaddyShack!

Thanks in advance!
Our dogs dig em up. Yea, I know. Bad dog. Bad lawn. Well, it is a farm yard.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Ohio State turf folks say:
Spring-loaded traps
"gummy worm" baits
I have used gummy worm baits in the past.  Mixed result, but I found out something about them later that I didn't know at first.  According to a local TV gardening show, the gummy worm baits only have a couple drops of the active ingredient on the side of them.  They're kind of pricey and there's only a few of them in a pack.  I cut them in half thinking I could spread them around and make them go further.  Didn't work so well.
A mouse trap set in the snow tunnel will take them.   

You can hire a trapper, but he's likely to use a mouse trap set in the snow tunnel.   You can cover the trap with a piece of metal, gutter, etc.   Just make sure it can fire easily.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

We have voles. Pretty sure it's why we have such a high fox population. Voles eat grubs, grubs eat your lawn roots. Get rid of the grubs.

GrubX
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

We don't have a lot of them, but I can't see any lawn damage. Do they burrow like moles?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I haven’t seen any sign of grub damage, but grubs may be a contributing factor.  I bought a couple of spring loaded traps and some gummies from Gempler’s that I’m going to try.  I also saw a product that you can spread on the lawn that has caster oil .  It acts as a repellent.

I’ll try to post a couple of pictures so you can see what the damage looks like.
(02-17-2021, 08:42 AM)KevMel Wrote: I haven’t seen any sign of grub damage, but grubs may be a contributing factor.  I bought a couple of spring loaded traps and some gummies from Gempler’s that I’m going to try.  I also saw a product that you can spread on the lawn that has caster oil .  It acts as a repellent.

I’ll try to post a couple of pictures so you can see what the damage looks like.

Attached Files Image(s)

Here’s other pic.

Attached Files Image(s)