Blum Slides Out of Spec
(02-20-2021, 02:28 PM)Demps Wrote: Please help me understand this, as I'm a week away from building 16 drawer boxes with the 21 inch tandem 563 slides.  I plan to construct with dominos, cutting the sides 21 long and the front/back pieces 42 mm shorter than the opening.

As I've read Blum's directions, I "think" the 21mm dimension on the drawing refers to the distance between the mounting wall and the inside of the drawer box, therefore giving the front/back dimension 42 mm shorter than the opening.  I'm thinking the 22.xx dim read above is the added clearance to the metal slide.  

comments??

If you measure as he did the measurement is from the inside of the drawer side to the opening width.   I have extra 563 slides at home and measured 21 mm exactly where he was measuring over 22 mm.   The 21 mm matches the drawings supplied by Blum.   Some how the slides supplied by Blum does not match their specs.    I suggest you measure your slides before cutting .   The gap on the slide itself looks larger on his pictures than all I have installed.   I would have not expected this from Blum but also recommend having all hardware before cutting to verify dimensions. Roly
"If you measure as he did the measurement is from the inside of the drawer side to the opening width. I have extra 563 slides at home and measured 21 mm exactly where he was measuring over 22 mm. The 21 mm matches the drawings supplied by Blum. Some how the slides supplied by Blum does not match their specs. I suggest you measure your slides before cutting ."

This. Take the same measurement I did and ensure it matches the drawing. If there is a discrepancy, you can make the drawer box slightly narrower to compensate. I work in imperial, but I took the picture with a metric measurement as their drawings are primarily in metric.

I built a couple of dressers with 15" slides and they were in spec. These are 9" slides for a smaller project. The first pair arrived damaged (adjustment tab broke off), and it took a bit to get the second pair. Both pairs were out of spec. I didn't think to measure this beforehand, but I guess I will need to do so with every Blum slide from now on. I had success with the dresser projects, so I guess I was overconfident.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
The latest reply from Blum. I don't think they're right, or something has recently changed.

"The dimensions shown are to the inside of the drawer box. The inside of the drawer box does not touch the part of the runner you are measuring to… There is a gap between that piece and the drawer box. The instructions you are looking at is how to build the box, not a print for the runners.

It’s not going to touch the box. We have to leave a gap there so that you can make a side-to-side adjustment"
(03-01-2021, 07:24 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: The latest reply from Blum.  I don't think they're right, or something has recently changed.

"The dimensions shown are to the inside of the drawer box. The inside of the drawer box does not touch the part of the runner you are measuring to… There is a gap between that piece and the drawer box. The instructions you are looking at is how to build the box, not a print for the runners.

It’s not going to touch the box. We have to leave a gap there so that you can make a side-to-side adjustment"

I'm pretty sure Blum is correct.  That drawing you posted is for the dimensions of the drawer, not the slide.  Should have seen that the first time. 

John
"I'm pretty sure Blum is correct. That drawing you posted is for the dimensions of the drawer, not the slide."

So I'm supposed to leave a 2mm gap between the inside of the drawer box and the slide and space the front component 2mm away from the side? That seems kind of weird.

It would sure be nice if they would indicate that on the drawing. I don't recall reading that in the instructions, but it's been a bit. I don't have the jig to drill the holes. I was thinking about getting one for convenience.
(03-01-2021, 07:54 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: "I'm pretty sure Blum is correct.  That drawing you posted is for the dimensions of the drawer, not the slide."

So I'm supposed to leave a 2mm gap between the inside of the drawer box and the slide and space the front component 2mm away from the side? That seems kind of weird.

It would sure be nice if they would indicate that on the drawing. I don't recall reading that in the instructions, but it's been a bit. I don't have the jig to drill the holes. I was thinking about getting one for convenience.

I've never had a problem when following the drawing to build the drawers.  I don't use a jig to drill the holes for the clips under the front of the drawer.  I just hold the clip in the corner of the drawer and freehand drill them.  Never used a 2 mm shim. Maybe I should have but I haven't and have never had a problem.  The location of the holes in the back of the drawer are shown on the drawer box drawing.  

John
I am not surprised to read this string.  I just bought and installed three sets of Blum drawer slides.  It took me awhile to find their instruction manual online, as none came with the slides from Cabinetparts.com.  The manual (all products) was hundreds of pages long.  I had to go through pages and pages to find some of the installation information I needed.  I love the slides and their hinges, but I think they have made this way too complicated.  I ended up watching a few YouTube videos and throwing away the instructions.  

As for the jigs, you could probably get away without them but it is considerably easier with it.  As far as the releases underneath the drawer, consider making your drawer bottoms 1/2" and screwing the releases into the bottom of the drawer.  This is not what I did, but when I use the slides again, I probably will, as screwing them into the drawer back where it meets the drawer bottom makes it easy to split the wood.
"The location of the holes in the back of the drawer are shown on the drawer box drawing."

It is not shown in the instructions I have. They just say to use the jig. Do you have a source for a set of instructions that shows this?
(03-01-2021, 11:01 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: "The location of the holes in the back of the drawer are shown on the drawer box drawing."

It is not shown in the instructions I have. They just say to use the jig. Do you have a source for a set of instructions that shows this?

If you notice on the slides the part that goes in the hole is pointed, just set the drawer box on the slide and push in and the points will mark the drawer back.   Roly
I think the slides you have are made wrong as my 563's are measured as the drawing states, not as you are measuring. Since the drawer is referenced from the inside of the drawer the dimension shown is correct from inside of drawer face to the inside of the cabinet. Not sure what was meant about screwing in the back as they just set in the pin holes otherwise you could not install or remove drawer box
(03-01-2021, 11:01 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: "The location of the holes in the back of the drawer are shown on the drawer box drawing."

It's not obvious from their web page, but the instructions labeled for the 569 slides are also for the 563H.

TANDEM plus BLUMOTION 569H/569. full instructions