Tool for sawing wooden rods easily?
A couple of V blocks would hold the dowel and allow you to lean on it while sawing. That should cover balance issues while sawing. I would recommend a cheap "toolbox saw" from Home Depot or Lowes rather than a hacksaw.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Couple comments-
Having cut hundreds of canes, in a previous life (I worked at a place that sold canes, crutches, wheelchairs, etc).
We had a pretty rudimentary shop. To cut a cane, we removed the rubber tip-(before cutting, it was easier to hold the whole cane).
Then wrapped the shaft in a rag, and clamped it in a vise.
I think that is probably the biggest issue-clamping the cane so it stays in one place-to that, I think a bench hook is a great idea, especially, living in an apartment, with limited space.
We used a hacksaw-because that's all we had. The cut needn't be pretty-the cut end is going back in the rubber tip.
A thought-a coping saw-you can change the blade, as needed, a "V" block, with blocks added to hold the cane.
I think a pull saw would be awkward-I find them hard to use, when in my wheelchair-trunk muscles don't work well. Pushing allows me to push against the back of my chair.
It might work though, if you can arrange to pull the saw vertically, down through the cane.
Good luck.
(02-20-2021, 11:21 AM)rlnguy Wrote: I think a pull saw would be awkward...It might work though, if you can arrange to pull the saw vertically, down through the cane.
And, in fact, Japanese saws are frequently used vertically, even by what a friend of mine used to call "the temporarily able-bodied" (his point being that even an athlete, if s/he lives to a ripe old age, will have disabilities).