Tool for sawing wooden rods easily?
Hi everyone,

I realize the title is somewhat vague, so I'll explain the situation.

I've had a mobility impairment since birth, and I've had to use a cane to ambulate since aged 16. That's over half a lifetime ago, so over the years I've tried different cane types and styles for experimentation and fun, etc. The past few years, I've had a strong preference for wood canes. You can find these easily from several vendors of course, but I need them to be trimmed to a specific height, and not all vendors or makers offer this option. I would do it myself, but my disability causes some balance and coordination issues, and I'm afraid that using a traditional hacksaw could be much more time-consuming for me than others and that I might not do a great job. I live alone in a small apartment, so setting things up to stabilize the cane, etc, would also be challenging. I tried the hacksaw one time, and it was very difficult for me to get a clean cut and it took a very long time, I'm embarrassed to admit.

There's a few people around me that I could ask for help, but I would really prefer to do it myself rather than have to make a special request every time I try something new.

I posted here in the hand tools forum because I was thinking hacksaws, but are there electric options I should look into? Is there any kind of manual device that would make it easier to trim a wooden rod between 5/8" - 1" and change with one hand (I would be trying to stabilize the cane with the other hand). I've never seen anything like this, but I figured if anyone would know, it's people with an active interest in woodworking tools. 

I realize many of you probably have workshops and tools and everything set up to just do this easily, so this is a bit of a silly question. But I ask out of a desire to be self-sufficient in as many areas as possible where my disability is concerned. 

I know my post and my info about my limitations is also a bit vague, so I'm happy to provide additonal info if anyone has questions. 

Should I get something electric, or accept the fact that I just need to ask for help here? Or is there something else I can use that I don't know about?

Thanks for reading.
(02-17-2021, 11:16 AM)Blackwood Wrote: Hi everyone,

I've had a mobility impairment since birth, and I've had to use a cane to ambulate since aged 16. That's over half a lifetime ago, so over the years I've tried different cane types and styles for experimentation and fun, etc. The past few years, I've had a strong preference for wood canes. You can find these easily from several vendors of course, but I need them to be trimmed to a specific height, and not all vendors or makers offer this option. I would do it myself, but my disability causes some balance and coordination issues, and I'm afraid that using a traditional hacksaw could be much more time-consuming for me than others and that I might not do a great job. I live alone in a small apartment, so setting things up to stabilize the cane, etc, would also be challenging. I tried the hacksaw one time, and it was very difficult for me to get a clean cut and it took a very long time, I'm embarrassed to admit.

There's a few people around me that I could ask for help, but I would really prefer to do it myself rather than have to make a special request every time I try something new.

I posted here in the hand tools forum because I was thinking hacksaws, but are there electric options I should look into? Is there any kind of manual device that would make it easier to trim a wooden rod between 5/8" - 1" and change with one hand (I would be trying to stabilize the cane with the other hand). I've never seen anything like this, but I figured if anyone would know, it's people with an active interest in woodworking tools. 

I realize many of you probably have workshops and tools and everything set up to just do this easily, so this is a bit of a silly question. But I ask out of a desire to be self-sufficient in as many areas as possible where my disability is concerned. 

I know my post and my info about my limitations is also a bit vague, so I'm happy to provide additonal info if anyone has questions. 

Should I get something electric, or accept the fact that I just need to ask for help here? Or is there something else I can use that I don't know about?

Thanks for reading.
I doubt that there's anyone on this forum that would not be glad to cut them for you if they were near where you live..Why not give your general location and see what kind of replies you get?
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-17-2021, 12:11 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ................
I doubt that there's anyone on this forum that would not be glad to cut them for you if they were near where you live..Why not give your general location and see what kind of replies you get?

Hi, thanks very much for your post.

I'm currently in small-town Eastern Iowa. I don't meet too many folks from the state online, but it's always interesting when I do.
Smile
(02-17-2021, 11:16 AM)Blackwood Wrote: Hi everyone,

I've had a mobility impairment since birth, and I've had to use a cane to ambulate since aged 16. 
I'm sure others are more qualified than me to address your concern, however, we can find a fix. Your summary says you aren't activated yet. You can use private messaging when activated which can provide more discrete communication, if you want that. Knowing your disability can be helpful however. I've spent years helping my polio-afflicted mother with DIY solutions no therapist is allowed to follow--disgusting! (Why fly across the country on vacation time to spend a week to put wood blocks under her bed.) "OK, Tigger, off the box....."

Everything below relies on do it yourself hacks, or solutions.

A hacksaw is a pain to use on even soft metal in the healthiest hands. Beavering through something they aren't designed for can be a nightmare. It was my first saw when cutting dovetails, and the wood was red cedar. Not your best solution, and quickly my last. Is it easier for you to pull a tool? A small fine-toothed, light and flexible Japanese style trim saw will melt its way through Ash and other hardwood cane tips. However, when touching a hacksaw is like grabbing sandpaper, a pull saw is dangerously sharp and vicious if used incorrectly. Trust in your own abilities is critical. That's question and condition #1.

#2. Other solutions. You have the world to shop in, at your fingertips. Keyhole saws may work, if pushing is your thing. Coping saws, anything tensioned by a bow will be fussy, fiddly, and require some tuning to work properly. I know, I have them and avoidance is the best policy.

#3. Do you have a wheelchair, a simple, foldable unit? Or, does it heat your coffee, eject you onto the floor, and require a bus to take you ten blocks because the non-replaceable batteries nearly died a month after delivery. More disgusting crap. Tiggerrrrr .... !

You could straddle the arms of the chair with the cane, or, maybe any arm chair, and lean onto the cane to cut. Here's a problem though.....

#4 If you cut the tip off, what about the rubber cap? They aren't very easy to remove, and often the wood tip is tapered to fit a standard size cap. You can wrap a strip of paper around the section of cane you intend to cut and do some diameter math--don't ask me how. Have a solution in your pocket, or on the kitchen table when you do the deed.
I'm running out of confusing thoughts. They are something I relay to the poor victim, client(?) as  I work a procedure before I charge off to do the job. Just remember, if you are using the cane, you can conquer the challenge you brought up.

Ps. Hah! Iowa. I lived in Marshalltown years ago. There are a few members I recall living in Iowa *now*.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
I am one of those "living in Iowa" guys - and would be most happy to assist you.

Unfortunately, I am in a small town . . . on the West side of the state, but Interstate 80 is about 9 miles North of my house.  
Wink
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
My first question would be, how are you securing the piece that you’re cutting? A bench hook on a sturdy table might be sufficient, maybe also clamping it and the workpiece down.

A small miter box and saw might be a good answer as well, as that would guide the saw more cleanly.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
(02-17-2021, 02:03 PM)6270_Productions Wrote: I am one of those "living in Iowa" guys - and would be most happy to assist you.

Unfortunately, I am in a small town . . . on the West side of the state, but Interstate 80 is about 9 miles North of my house.  
Wink

Hello there! Thanks for your response, great to meet you. Luckily, I'm all good on canes for now. This is just a problem that has cropped up almost every time I was shopping for a different one, and it can be really tiresome to sift through sellers to find ones that offer trim services. So, after all this time I finally decided to ask "is there a way around this?"
(02-17-2021, 02:33 PM)MauleSkinner Wrote: My first question would be, how are you securing the piece that you’re cutting? A bench hook on a sturdy table might be sufficient, maybe also clamping it and the workpiece down.

A small miter box and saw might be a good answer as well, as that would guide the saw more cleanly.

That's an excellent question and I know it's an issue because I have nothing to secure it other than my free hand on a sturdy table. It's part of why the hacksaw didn't work well when I tried to use it that one time. I know I should try to get something that will do it better/safer.
(02-17-2021, 01:46 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I'm sure others are more qualified than me to address your concern, however, we can find a fix. Your summary says you aren't activated yet. You can use private messaging when activated which can provide more discrete communication, if you want that. Knowing your disability can be helpful however. I've spent years helping my polio-afflicted mother with DIY solutions no therapist is allowed to follow--disgusting! (Why fly across the country on vacation time to spend a week to put wood blocks under her bed.) "OK, Tigger, off the box....."

Everything below relies on do it yourself hacks, or solutions.

A hacksaw is a pain to use on even soft metal in the healthiest hands. Beavering through something they aren't designed for can be a nightmare. It was my first saw when cutting dovetails, and the wood was red cedar. Not your best solution, and quickly my last. Is it easier for you to pull a tool? A small fine-toothed, light and flexible Japanese style trim saw will melt its way through Ash and other hardwood cane tips. However, when touching a hacksaw is like grabbing sandpaper, a pull saw is dangerously sharp and vicious if used incorrectly. Trust in your own abilities is critical. That's question and condition #1.

#2. Other solutions. You have the world to shop in, at your fingertips. Keyhole saws may work, if pushing is your thing. Coping saws, anything tensioned by a bow will be fussy, fiddly, and require some tuning to work properly. I know, I have them and avoidance is the best policy.

#3. Do you have a wheelchair, a simple, foldable unit? Or, does it heat your coffee, eject you onto the floor, and require a bus to take you ten blocks because the non-replaceable batteries nearly died a month after delivery. More disgusting crap. Tiggerrrrr .... !

You could straddle the arms of the chair with the cane, or, maybe any arm chair, and lean onto the cane to cut. Here's a problem though.....

#4 If you cut the tip off, what about the rubber cap? They aren't very easy to remove, and often the wood tip is tapered to fit a standard size cap. You can wrap a strip of paper around the section of cane you intend to cut and do some diameter math--don't ask me how. Have a solution in your pocket, or on the kitchen table when you do the deed.
I'm running out of confusing thoughts. They are something I relay to the poor victim, client(?) as  I work a procedure before I charge off to do the job. Just remember, if you are using the cane, you can conquer the challenge you brought up.

Ps. Hah! Iowa. I lived in Marshalltown years ago. There are a few members I recall living in Iowa *now*.

Thank you for such a detailed and helpful response!

(I activated my account yesterday but it still said not activated. I went back to click the activation link again or do the process again and it said the account didn't need activation anymore. However like you, I also see that I am registered as not yet activated yet....)

"Funny" story since you mentioned the batteries... Early last year a mobility scooter I used to have started acting up and wouldn't start. The techs recommended replacing the batteries--both of which cost a few hundred that I couldn't really afford but, well, I needed the scooter to get around the neighborhood. A few days after that, the device just kinda failed completely (it was ten years old at that point) and the techs were stymied and couldn't fix it without significant cost to me. It was a shame to have to eat the cost of those darn batteries. 

The tips used to give me quite a bit of trouble. Nowadays, I can *usually* get them off with a little upper body strength and some twisting. Takes a bit of time, hurts the hand a bit, but I've gotten better at it over the years.
(02-17-2021, 02:54 PM)Blackwood Wrote: Thank you for such a detailed and helpful response!

(I activated my account yesterday but it still said not activated. I went back to click the activation link again or do the process again and it said the account didn't need activation anymore. However like you, I also see that I am registered as not yet activated yet....)

"Funny" story since you mentioned the batteries... Early last year a mobility scooter I used to have started acting up and wouldn't start. The techs recommended replacing the batteries--both of which cost a few hundred that I couldn't really afford but, well, I needed the scooter to get around the neighborhood. A few days after that, the device just kinda failed completely (it was ten years old at that point) and the techs were stymied and couldn't fix it without significant cost to me. It was a shame to have to eat the cost of those darn batteries. 

The tips used to give me quite a bit of trouble. Nowadays, I can *usually* get them off with a little upper body strength and some twisting. Takes a bit of time, hurts the hand a bit, but I've gotten better at it over the years.
You may want to put those cane tips in very hot water to soften them up a bit..They should come off easier.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset