110 volt 30 amp welder
(06-07-2021, 06:30 AM)TDKPE Wrote: 30A output is (maybe) enough to weld the lid back on a can.  Maybe.  That sounds awfully light.  The lowest I ever run my 230A unit is around 100A or so on 3/16" wall tube, but it will run on a 30A 240V circuit for that low output.  It needs a 50A circuit to output full power, even with the short 20% duty-cycle at that output, which I've used with cutting rods loooong ago.

The little welders I have used run on 15 or 20 amp circuits.  
Inputting 15 or 20 amps at 120 volts gives 1800+ watts of power.

Outputting at about 19-20 volts gives you up to 80-90 amps to weld with.
It handled 1/8" steel with no problem.  I have welded 1/4" by running an extra bead above and below my fit up to preheat the steel, then adjust my speed.
(06-07-2021, 09:05 AM)srv52761 Wrote: The little welders I have used run on 15 or 20 amp circuits.  
Inputting 15 or 20 amps at 120 volts gives 1800+ watts of power.

Outputting at about 19-20 volts gives you up to 80-90 amps to weld with.
It handled 1/8" steel with no problem.  I have welded 1/4" by running an extra bead above and below my fit up to preheat the steel, then adjust my speed.

Yes, but Wild Turkey said something about 30A output.  I assumed he meant welding machine output, but on re-reading it, he might have been referring to the branch circuit ampacity.  
Raised
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(06-07-2021, 09:47 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Yes, but Wild Turkey said something about 30A output.  I assumed he meant welding machine output, but on re-reading it, he might have been referring to the branch circuit ampacity.  
Raised

My small Lincoln mig has inputs for 20amp circuits and 25 amp circuits.  I've never seen a breaker for the later.

It does what I need to do on the lesser input.
WoodNET... the new safespace
(06-07-2021, 09:54 AM)Splinter Puller Wrote: My small Lincoln mig has inputs for 20amp circuits and 25 amp circuits.  I've never seen a breaker for the later.

They're around.  Much more common in a 2-pole configuration, probably used mostly for smaller HVAC outdoor units if I had to guess*, but 1-pole versions are around.

Plug In Circuit Breaker 1P 25 Amp 120VAC - - Amazon.com

Square D QO 25-Amp 1-Pole Standard Trip Circuit Breaker in the Circuit Breakers department at Lowes.com

Square D Homeline 25-Amp 2-Pole Standard Trip Circuit Breaker in the Circuit Breakers department at Lowes.com

*where wiring is sized to the defined load, but an 'oversized' circuit breaker or fuse is permitted under NEC Article 440 to prevent tripping on hard starts or short-cycle attempts where the condenser's internal breaker cuts it short to protect the motor(s), and you don't want the panel breaker to trip, which would prevent any restart attempts.  Not good for an unattended commercial freezer, for instance, but same rules apply to hermetic A/C equipment including in residences.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(06-07-2021, 09:47 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Yes, but Wild Turkey said something about 30A output.  I assumed he meant welding machine output, but on re-reading it, he might have been referring to the branch circuit ampacity.  
Raised

No, I was referring to the 30 amps in the original post.  Another case of internet partial information
Rolleyes

Hobart site lists its Handler 140 as 115V, 60 hz, and "Amps: 20A at rated load" and also notes "Maximum amperage output: 25-140"

One thing they don't mention is "duty cycle".  On those 110 v machines you may only be able to weld 10% of the time, ie, weld for 10 seconds, wait for 90 seconds.

BTDT
No
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(06-07-2021, 06:37 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: No, I was referring to the 30 amps in the original post.  Another case of internet partial information
Rolleyes

Or partial internet comprehension due to a literal reading of a snippet without context.  

Yeah, right - like that ever happens.  
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

I spend way too much time editing posts after re-reading the entire thread, or even just the OP. 
Slap
Tom

I have a Hobart Handler 140. It runs fine on a 120v, 20a circuit. On a 15a circuit with an extension cord, it will sometimes trip the breaker. I also have the HH 185 I run with .045 flux core. I run that on a 30a 240v circuit, but it doesn't really need 30a.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(06-21-2021, 04:07 PM)mellissas Wrote: Dude, thank you for this topic, I was really helped by what people wrote here. I'll make a note of it. In general, everything that concerns electrics and welding, for me-as the highest mathematics.

BAM !!!
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
(06-14-2021, 09:16 AM)gabrielled Wrote: If you are using a 110 volt 30 amp welder, the 10-gauge copper is exactly right for you. I'm sure there are other options. I use exactly the same configuration and have never had any problems with it. This is an affordable option. Maybe there is something more efficient or cheaper, but I never needed it. You could have asked DELETED since there you can find local Welding Technician Programs. They have quite a lot of experience in this area, and I'm sure they will give you the best recommendation. If you are looking for something other than the 10-gauge copper, then they will definitely help you.

BAM
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]