Tool Rack Done
Finally got around to building a rack for my turning tools.  Looked at several options and came up with this one.  I have it set up for 20 tools.  The upper pieces are easily remade if I add more in the future.

Sandpaper rolls from Klingspor 80-400 are hanging from one continuous dowel with 3/8" spacers between

Ended up putting my SB angle gauges on the other end.  

Got tired of my gouges and such rolling around in drawers so now everything is out and at arms reach as they should be!

The wall is ship lap poplar I made for my turning area and have already started getting my chucks and layout tools hung up there as well.

"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
Good looking rack, I need to do something like that. Is it mounted behind your lathe or to the side? I don't have room to the side and wonder if storing tools behind the lathe is a good idea.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Lathe sits to the right of the tool rack.  Here is a pic before I built the wall.  

The poplar wall is now directly behind the cabinet with the grinder.  So imagine the tool rack directly above the cabinet.

I usually pull the lathe out from the wall when I turn.  The two sanders pictured are now in other areas of the shop.

"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
Nice looking rack........
Nice and neat.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-17-2021, 02:38 PM)shoottmx Wrote: Good looking rack, I need to do something like that. Is it mounted behind your lathe or to the side? I don't have room to the side and wonder if storing tools behind the lathe is a good idea.

g

Tools should be buried in the shavings under the ways so you can take a break in turning as you look for the one you need.

Mine have been on the wall behind my lathe for years.  Magnetic bars hold them upright so I can see their contour.  Don't reach over a rotating piece to change tools.  Stop the lathe if doing spindles to stay safe.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Great looking rack.  I am building wall behind my lathe, but should have plenty of room off to the side to put the rack. Good advice about not reaching over a spinning lathe. Thanks for sharing your design.
(02-18-2021, 06:29 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Tools should be buried in the shavings under the ways so you can take a break in turning as you look for the one you need.

I save this honor for the screws on my chuck!
Smile
(02-20-2021, 12:44 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: I save this honor for the screws on my chuck!
Smile

BTDT. I have one of those long handled magnet gizmos for searching thru the chips for anything magnetic.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone