PC Plunge Router Base
6931 Type 2 base with a PC router frozen in the upper position. I need to lower the router within the base but it is stuck. I've tried several attempts to free it with no luck. Any suggestions and experiences on freeing this?
Jim
PB blaster, maybe brake cleaner on the shafts to soak for a while , have used this to free up stuck parts on older cars and aircraft before.

Then very light tapping with a soft face mallet , compressed air possibility too.

Sounds like gunk and sawdust has gummed it up
(02-18-2021, 09:22 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: 6931 Type 2 base with a PC router frozen in the upper position. I need to lower the router within the base but it is stuck. I've tried several attempts to free it with no luck. Any suggestions and experiences on freeing this?

Mine just did the same thing when I tried to slide the motor into the base.  I finally got it loose just by wiggling it, so I can't offer any great guidance with how, but once you get it loose wax both the motor housing and inside of the base.  Slides in nice and easy now.  My Bosch 1617 is a bear to get into and out of the fixed base unless I keep it waxed.  

John
The router is held in place with a small metal plate that is clamped in at an angle when you tighten the lock. The angle is such that the plate comes free when the router is moved down, but until this happens, we all tended to set the motor right down in the base as far as it would go, leaving no room to disengage the plate.

I used to teach router classes and I always cautioned folks to Clamp the motor in place about 1/8” above the top of the base.

You will need to remove the lock parts as far as possible, and try to reach up under the plate with a small pin to tap it up and disengage it. It is listed as part #127 in the owner’s manual exploded view.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.