Reach in Closet
Has anyone built a reach in closet with shelves and drawers and things?/ If so did you design yourself or use components from a supplier. If you have photos I would like to see. Also what are some do's and don'ts and must haves or do not bother withs. Thanks in advance. This is a project this spring I need to work on. I put a link of examples of what I am talking about. Also what did you do to close it off?? Use doors of some type??

https://www.closetsbydesign.com/clos...droom-closets/
John T.
I've worked for a worldwide closet company and a couple of local shops with their own designs. My best advice is to use "panels" that rest on the floor. These can be as tall as you like. Typically, these are around 7' tall. If you just want hanging, 12" deep panels enough. If you want drawers, 16" deep panels are best. If you have the ability, drill holes 32mm apart, front and back. I definitely suggest chrome oval rod. Similar to this, https://www.amazon.com/830-8-PC-Closet-P...ag=mh0b-20 . My experience has been that using brass or antique bronze is a mistake. The finish rubs off over time.

Any other questions, please ask.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(02-20-2021, 09:19 AM)museumguy Wrote: I've worked for a worldwide closet company and a couple of local shops with their own designs. My best advice is to use "panels" that rest on the floor. These can be as tall as you like. Typically, these are around 7' tall. If you just want hanging, 12" deep panels enough. If you want drawers, 16" deep panels are best. If you have the ability, drill holes 32mm apart, front and back. I definitely suggest chrome oval rod. Similar to this, https://www.amazon.com/830-8-PC-Closet-P...ag=mh0b-20 . My experience has been that using brass or antique bronze is a mistake. The finish rubs off over time.

Any other questions, please ask.

I do want varied hanging but also drawers to store things as well as a shoe rack of some sort. Good tip on chrome.
John T.
(02-20-2021, 11:30 AM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: I do want varied hanging but also drawers to store things as well as a shoe rack of some sort. Good tip on chrome.

Drawer depths should vary by what you plan to put in them. Bulky items like sweaters should be deep. Non-bulky items make shallower drawers but more of them, sort of like tool chests.  Also from my own experience, my closets have 3-4 times as much stuff in them as I see in the ads. Maybe I just have too much stuff, but plan according to your own needs, especially strength needed for hanging rods.

Good luck with the project.
(02-20-2021, 11:30 AM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: I do want varied hanging but also drawers to store things as well as a shoe rack of some sort. Good tip on chrome.

We did slanted shoe shelves. Basically it was a shelf with notches cut in the underside that fit over the shelf pins. The front was angled down, instead of the pins being in the same plane, the front pins are 3 or 4 pins lower. The, an acrylic lip was added to keep the shoes from falling off. You could use anything really, matching or contrasting wood is a great choice.

For drawers, like I said, 16" are better than 12" deep, front to back depth, not up and down depth. Drilling the shelf pin holes 32mm on center and 37mm from the front edge gives you the front screw location for most slides.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I would start the traditional way with a shelf up high at the level of the top of the door, and a rod accross under the shelf.

a standalone boxed unit that sits on the floor could have shelf and drawer storage. You could have shoes sitting on the box unit just under the hanging cloths.

Having the box up off the floor would allow space for shoes underneath.
Depending on depth this may not be an economical use of space.
My .02
Karl

I’m a big fan of Elfa products from The Container Store. They’re high quality European made fixtures that have tremendous flexibility in design, needs, budgets and organizing all spaces. They can help you design your closet, custom cut shelving to length to fit your measurements and supply all needed hardware. For closets they use a European style track and you hang shelf standards down on. If you move you can take it with you and leave the track. If you need to add something more at a later date everything is standard size. They’re not cheap but more useful than fine furniture in most cases for storage of items and clothing.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
I wanted revisit this thread I started some time ago because I am finally getting around to it. Lots of good info already. My latest question that I need to answer before I tear into this, is what type door system works well. Being this is a reach in closet and not a walk-in there needs to be doors in front. Bifold or sliding??? Thanks.
John T.
Bifold for easier access, sliders could be mirrored, makes the wife happy,
Smile. Also, what's in the rest of the house? Do you like those? Would they work in this application?

Garry
(06-12-2021, 05:57 PM)museumguy Wrote: Bifold for easier access, sliders could be mirrored, makes the wife happy,
Smile. Also, what's in the rest of the house? Do you like those? Would they work in this application?

This closet is going to be a one off because I need to move the closet on the back side. The rest of the house has sliders but I would need either larger doors or a 3 door slider so leaning toward bifold.
John T.