Grinder?
I use a 6" hand-crank grinder and a Lee Valley tool rest for my plane blades (Hock, thick Krenov style). For medical reasons, my hand strength and coordination are getting a lot worse, and it is hard for me to use any more. So I might cave in and get a low speed tailed version.

Recommendations? I would really like to run a 6" wheel. I like the hollow it gives.

Thanks all.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(02-19-2021, 12:28 AM)Aram Wrote: I use a 6" hand-crank grinder and a Lee Valley tool rest for my plane blades (Hock, thick Krenov style). For medical reasons, my hand strength and coordination are getting a lot worse, and it is hard for me to use any more. So I might cave in and get a low speed tailed version.

Recommendations? I would really like to run a 6" wheel. I like the hollow it gives.

Thanks all.

I have the small Tormek and that works well...I think the wheel is larger than 6" tho...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I have an inexpensive Rikon that works well, but it's 8". I also use a 6" hand-cranked grinder, and while it's not configured that way now, a foot pedal can be used to drive it. All you need it a wooden shaft that goes from the handle to a hinged foot plate. Get the wheel started by hand and it's easy to speed it up and keep it going with your foot. A hole at the top of the shaft to fit over the grinder handle was enough to keep it from falling off mine while allowing rotation, but more secure methods are also simple.
(02-20-2021, 09:50 AM)Alan S Wrote:  I also use a 6" hand-cranked grinder, and while it's not configured that way now, a foot pedal can be used to drive it.  All you need it a wooden shaft that goes from the handle to a hinged foot plate.  Get the wheel started by hand and it's easy to speed it up and keep it going with your foot.  A hole at the top of the shaft to fit over the grinder handle was enough to keep it from falling off mine while allowing rotation, but more secure methods are also simple.

Thank you. This is a great idea.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I do not know how old it is buy my father in laws hand grinder has several speeds to it.  it is really neat to use once in a while sharpening mower blades.  i think it has 3 or 4 speeds on it.  Rotate the handle and shiift the gears and it can fly or low grunt speed is about 50rmp and i think high is about 2500rpm
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I have essential tremors and relatively severe arthritis so I rely on the Tormel tool rest and jogs mated to a Rikon 8" ½-speed grinder. Derek Cohen has an excellent article on his website.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard