The Writing Desk: FINISHED!
Well, after fooling around with drill presses and bench vises, I have finally gotten back to WW. Glued up the writing desk base and drawer runners: next up is the drawer.

Will be watching closely, I have a nice slab of cherry I need to do something with.
Desk could replace a cheap piece. 
Big Grin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Beautiful work, Phillip.  Love the view from your shop, too.  We basement dwellers notice those things immediately.  

John
Looking good!  We all love a good build thread.

Cool
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I have finally completed the Writing Desk. It took longer than I expected, as it usually does.

Highlights:  I modified the original Christian Becksvoort design to make it slightly less Shaker and slightly more contemporary. The front, back and sides of the top have slight faired curves that I think kicks it up a notch in terms of overall appearance. I continued the curved theme by including a curve on the drawer front: not easy to see any of this in the photos, unfortunately. The black dot in the center of the drawer front is an ebony inlay: I included this design feature to match a similar design detail on the furnishings in the room where this will be housed. I made the top from two nice pieces of curly cherry that I was saving for just this project: it has lots of character, just the way I like it. Pinned mortise/tenon joints on the legs are regulation Shaker. The drawer frame is maple, and the scraps I scrounged for this ended up having a nice tiger stripe:  a nice surprise each time you open the drawer, Drawer bottom is nearly clear eastern white pine. The goal was to build a desk that had a light look: not a fan of the traditional desks that have rows of drawers from top to floor on either end. I think this will fit well in the room it was designed for, and I look forward to the day when I can sit at this desk at write my last mortgage check!

Next project: a bed (shaker, of course). Stay tuned for more exciting developments!

[Image: IMG-3085.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3086.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3087.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3088.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3089.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3090.jpg]
Magnificent looking work.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Very nice. I really like the grain on the top and the drawer construction.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
Geez, that piece is just gorgeous! super craftsmanship too.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Nice looking desk. Love the look of the wood.
I love it.  It has a nice size but it looks as it is almost not there.  Very nice work.