Bandsaw blade welder
Does anyone use a bandsaw blade welder?
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Keeping an eye on this thread. I have blade coil stock and need to make a few blades.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I just braze (silver solder) general use bandsaw blades that are up to 1/2" ... as for bigger resaw blades, I get them professionally cut and welded.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
(02-20-2021, 08:57 AM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: I just braze (silver solder) general use bandsaw blades that are up to 1/2" ... as for bigger resaw blades, I get them professionally cut and welded.
Silver soldering was one of my jobs as an apprentice in the machine shop I worked at as a young man..I dont have a clue as to how many I have done in those years before we got a Do-All saw with electric welder...You couldn't buy blades "off the shelf" 73yrs ago.
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-20-2021, 06:25 AM)Pirate Wrote: Does anyone use a bandsaw blade welder?

As a young man on my first job I watched an apprentice machinist try to learn to weld blades on a DoAll with a welder.  Bill, the senior man would make it look easy.  Chris tired and tried, doing the same exact thing and I don' remember him every getting one to weld properly.   I was quite amazed at how hard it was and as far as I could see he was doing the same thing as Bill was doing.

Never tried it so no first hand experience other than this.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

We had one at the pattern shop. It was built into the saw, a DoAll. Never had real good luck with it. You had to have everything set just so or you would get a bad weld, then you had to grind off the weld bulge and temper it. Again things had to be just right, ie time temperature, etc. In the long run it was cheaper if you factored in your time, to buy premade blades.
Silver solder brazing is pretty easy and works well. There are a number of YouTube videos on the subject. I always taper the flat sides of the blade so that there is more surface area to braze (scarf joint). This makes a stronger joint.
Lee Valley sells a kit for soldering bandsaw blades -

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...em=03J5901
(02-21-2021, 04:08 PM)Phil S. Wrote: Lee Valley sells a kit for soldering bandsaw blades -

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...em=03J5901

When I clicked the link, "no longer available", hmmm
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I picked up a Dayton blade welder (1/2" max width) at a yard sale.
It heats ends, and presses together to weld. Then has an anneal function. Also has a cutter and grinder. The grinder doesn't work.
Can't seem to get it to weld right. It burns away the metal. The only adjustments are bjade spacing (should be butted up) and pressing together pressure. Ive used every pressure. Now I'm out of hack saw blades I was practicing on. Wonder if the problem could be the hack saw blades are to hard?
Of course I threw out all my dull bs blades!
I was hoping to sell it in working condition.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer