Thinning lacquer
I have watco lacquer brand new can I was attempting to thin it so I could wipe it on.when I added mineral sports it turn to a slimy,suspended cloud. After several days it appears to have disolved. Is it ok to use? I have always thinned lacquer to speed dry time and make it wipeable. It has been several years since I have used lacquer did they change the formula or something
I've never used MS, only lacquer thinner. I'm thinking you just used the wrong solvent, no idea what effect that may have. On the other hand, I haven't bought any lacquer in a while (I always used Watco) so I suppose it's possible they changed something. If they did the correct thinner should be on the label.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Lacquer should be thinned with lacquer thinner, not mineral spirits.
that's two completely different chemicals.
I wouldn't trust it mixed together.
(02-20-2021, 09:18 AM)jcclark Wrote: Lacquer should be thinned with lacquer thinner, not mineral spirits.

Agreed, use lacquer retarder not MS.  I have a feeling the MS separated out of the lacquer and is in the bottom of the can.   If you mixed the whole can throw it out and start over.  I would not try to use on a project.    Roly
Ok thanks,is lacquer thinner different than paint thinner? I only mixed a small batch so if need to get lacquer thinner I will
(02-20-2021, 09:59 AM)chizlr40 Wrote: Ok thanks,is lacquer thinner different than paint thinner? I only mixed a small batch so if need to get lacquer thinner I will

A huge difference. Lacquer thinner is a cocktail of solvents, mostly the more volatile ones like acetone, toluene, and a long list of other stuff.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-20-2021, 09:18 AM)jcclark Wrote: Lacquer should be thinned with lacquer thinner, not mineral spirits.

+1
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I doubt that you can build any surface thickness by wiping on lacquer.  It is a "hot" solvent-based finish.  I suspect that after the first coat any additional coats will wipe away about as much finish as it adds. 

In any case, I would do some Internet research on the subject before trying it out on a nice project.

I have wipe oil-based poly successfully and I have a "hybrid" wipe/brush technique that builds a bit faster.  I have also wiped on Watco Danish oil.  It looks nice but does not seem very durable.  I used it on a walking cane and I reapply every few months.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Brush-on lacquer is available, but I never tried brushing. I always spray lacquer.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I used brush-on Deft lacquer for a high school woodshop project and I thought it turned out great.  You can still buy Deft brush on.  I tried it more recently for drawers because of the very quick dry times.  But the smell was offensive. 

I then used Sealcoat for the same reason.  It smelled for a bit while applying, but not for long. 

Then I went with the "Triple-thick Varathane".  One coat brush on did the trick.

Now I spray with water-based poly.  I will probably stick with this option.  It is fast, and does not smell bad, and dries quickly.

The Deft lacquer can be scuff sanded and you can get a good finish build.  You can also buff to a very high gloss.  You can do the same with shellac.  I'm not sure which is shinier or which is more durable.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.