Upgrade help
(02-22-2021, 08:24 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Well, someone doesn't know much about lathes.  Record has been around since the bodgers were kicked out of the woods at High Wycombe.  They have made a LOT of designs.  

"Deflection? "  I suppose someone scraping rather than shaving might put some lateral load on the tailstock, but it's certainly not the best way to turn.  Even a duplicator. which must scrape, keeps the contact area small, and thus loading ditto.  The kids at school used to press so hard they'd dismount a piece with the old Delta, but use of a cup center vs a point cured that while they were learning how to shave. 

As to the OP, I'm a fan of my Nova 3000, which has lower rpm available, and sells close to the same price.  Or, if you are one who thinks being able to vary rpm makes a difference in cutting, the DVR, for an extra 500 bux.

Your argument is a non sequitur logical fallacy. Just because they designed lathes in the past doesn't mean they will always create a good design.

As for high lateral load, that can come from a large unbalanced piece of wood. I may not know much about lathes, but as an aircraft airframe stress analyst for over twenty years, I do know bad load paths when I see them.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(02-22-2021, 01:21 PM)SteveS Wrote: Your argument is a non sequitur logical fallacy. Just because they designed lathes in the past doesn't mean they will always create a good design.

As for high lateral load, that can come from a large unbalanced piece of wood. I may not know much about lathes, but as an aircraft airframe stress analyst for over twenty years, I do know bad load paths when I see them.

Didn't want to say it directly, but I will now.  YOU are the one who doesn't know about lathes.  Or, apparently, about bandsaws, balance, and tool presentation.  Which is to say, safety concerns.  

Record's long history and manufacturing reputation means a lot.  From what you say, you know little about turning.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(02-22-2021, 10:34 AM)RustyN Wrote: One of the main things I like is the magnetic controller. I can put it where I need it. With the Nova every time I need to change the speed turning outboard I have to walk around the lathe. Rotating head is better for me because the space the lathe fits in doesn’t have open space on the ends. The Record Power has rotating and sliding head. The outrigger is also available at Highland. The Nova looks like a good lathe but I have read a lot of bad reviews about their customer service. Thanks for all of you replies.

The Teknatool lathes have rotating headstocks.  The banjo and original equipment toolrest will do just fine on 22 1/2 degree rotations, in my experience.  Though, to tell the truth, not many bowls over 15 3/4"  (actual swing of my 16" antique) will find buyers.  When I got the Nova, I made the obligatory full-size piece, and was informed by She Who Must Be Obeyed that it was a big as a chamber pot.  Haven't done a lot over 14 since.  Tabletops are done with the bandsaw and circle jig.  

I do 90+% of my turning at 680, though 2 lower ranges are available.  Belt changes are a breeze, but rarely does a piece need more than a move up to 680 from a lower range.  With good chainsaw technique and/or bandsaw cuts, I've only had to counterweight maybe three odd shaped pieces through the years. 

I have no experience with their customer service, because I've never needed it.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
the magnetic controller

I have this on my new Powermatic and I love love love it
The problem for me is room or lack of it. With a sliding headstock I would have to move the lathe every time I want to turn outboard

That is certainly something to consider and you are smart for doing so. I have the room, and with the setup I am doing right now, I will have lots of room
Thank you everybody for the replies it is greatly appreciated. I posted this to get insight on things I might not have thought about on my own. It’s not worth arguing over. It would be great if we could all get along.
What do you plan on turning? That lathe looks like it’s intended for mostly spindle turning.
VH07V  
RustyN, lively discussions make reading message boards interesting.

At one time many woodturning vendors sold entry level and little bit more sturdy Record CL series bar lathes here & Canada. While still sell those old bar lathes in Europe been adding new style lathes for years. Both the 16" & 18" lathes should please a lot of turners.

If many of us had stopped & thought for a minute should have asked you what are you wanting to upgrade from?
Bill
I have magnetic on/off controls for my ONEWAY, and also all the control features on a bar that swings wherever I want it.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
(02-23-2021, 04:20 AM)Wildwood Wrote: RustyN, lively discussions make reading message boards interesting.

At one time many woodturning vendors sold entry level and little bit more sturdy Record CL series bar lathes here & Canada. While still sell those old bar lathes in Europe been adding new style lathes for years. Both the 16" & 18" lathes should please a lot of turners.

If many of us had stopped & thought for a minute should have asked you what are you wanting to upgrade from?

I am upgrading from a Rikon 70-220 VSR. It has a 12.5” swing over the bed and can turn a 21” spindle. I have been turning 12” bowls lately and it is under powered when you go that big. I turn a lot of green wood. I don’t turn spindles or haven’t yet. A rotating headstock sounded good to me because I am disabled with neck and back problems. Not having to lean over to hollow out the inside of a bowl would be very nice. I don’t have room to stand at the end of the lathe so a sliding headstock wouldn’t help me. I just checked my Rikon and it has the same speed range as the Record Power and I don’t move the belt much at all now. For some reason the 750 sounded lower than what I am using now but it isn’t. The Record Power has all of the features I am looking for with the rotating headstock and the magnetic controller pendant so I think it is back on the list. I like the fact that down the road if something goes bad the motor and VFD are replaceable where with the Nove they are not.