Changing Router Market?
I'm getting back into woodworking after being away for a couple of years and was shocked to learn that Porter Cable is exiting the router market (at least in full-size routers, as opposed to the trimmer-sized routers). I also noticed I was having a hard time finding inventory of a couple other brands of full-sized routers I was looking at (Makita in particular). 

Is the router market moving away from full-sized routers? I know that PC is not the brand that it once was, and that it has basically been the red-headed stepchild of Stanley Black&Decker, but it still had enough of a reputation in the router world that I can't believe SBD wouldn't try to continue to squeeze money out of its cash cow product (in particular, the 7518, which are going for ridiculous money on eBay right now). PC was the industry leader in many models, and virtually every after-market router product still advertises itself as being "compatible with Porter Cable style bases." 

So is the industry/hobby moving away from full sized routers? Is it just a supply chain issue? Or is there some other factor of which I am unaware?
You are entitled to your own opinions. Just not your own facts.
Black and Decker has purchased several brands.  They marketed on the brand name's reputation for a time, but then as one brand was competing with its own other brand they started streamlining their products.

Went the way of the Unifence when they and Biesemeyer were owned by the same parent company.
(02-22-2021, 11:29 AM)srv52761 Wrote: Black and Decker has purchased several brands.  They marketed on the brand name's reputation for a time, but then as one brand was competing with its own other brand they started streamlining their products.

Went the way of the Unifence when they and Biesemeyer were owned by the same parent company.

It looked to me like SBD intended Porter-Cable routers to fail. I watched their pricing after they owned both brands. Porter Cable seemed like the DeWalt alternative was cheaper than the equivalent P-C. I imagine DeWalt sold better, being cheaper and all. Remember the same Corporation was setting prices on both brands.  P-C has had their issues with variable speed controls as well. I have a couple P-C routers, if I have to replace one it won't be a DeWalt.
I have the PC 890 that I like very much. 
I also have the equivalent Bosch router combo kit. 
The Bosch is at least as good as the PC, there seems no rhyme or reason which one I grab for any particular job.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Quote:So is the industry/hobby moving away from full sized routers? Is it just a supply chain issue? Or is there some other factor of which I am unaware?

No , not really. 

Supply chain issues have affected lots of durable goods in the last year besides handheld routers.  Woodworking has also become more popular in the same timeframe, which means more people chasing the items that are available. 

There are still plenty of 2-1/4hp routers to choose from. 
DeWalt, Makita, Bosch, Hitachi/Metabo or whatever they’re calling themselves these days, Milwaukee, Festool, and Triton all have models.
(02-22-2021, 10:11 AM)law_kid Wrote: I'm getting back into woodworking after being away for a couple of years and was shocked to learn that Porter Cable is exiting the router market (at least in full-size routers, as opposed to the trimmer-sized routers). I also noticed I was having a hard time finding inventory of a couple other brands of full-sized routers I was looking at (Makita in particular). 

Is the router market moving away from full-sized routers? I know that PC is not the brand that it once was, and that it has basically been the red-headed stepchild of Stanley Black&Decker, but it still had enough of a reputation in the router world that I can't believe SBD wouldn't try to continue to squeeze money out of its cash cow product (in particular, the 7518, which are going for ridiculous money on eBay right now). PC was the industry leader in many models, and virtually every after-market router product still advertises itself as being "compatible with Porter Cable style bases." 

So is the industry/hobby moving away from full sized routers? Is it just a supply chain issue? Or is there some other factor of which I am unaware?

Amazon, Lowes, and Home Depot all seem to have a nice assortment and each will gladly take your money.

A few years back (maybe more than a few) Home Depot became the national brand of Milwaukee. Other stores could sell them, but not other national chains. Bosch bought Freuds bit business, so Milwaukee dropped their router bit line. Too bad since Freud and Milwaukee even used the same part numbers so it was easy to get exact replacements. On the plus side, Milwaukee let their stock of bits go for a song and I may never have to buy another router bit. 

The point is, in just a few years a lot of brands have changed their tool line ups. As you shop forget the past and do some up to date research on anything you may want to buy. You may be in for more surprises.

Of course, anything mentioned above could change by tomorrow.

---
See ya later,
Bill
I’ve got a couple of old PC’s and while they’re solid, would like better dust collection which none of the moderately priced seem to have.

Or modify a 690 but haven’t seen a good enough way

Rich
"Have a very small amount of things to work with." Henri Cartier-Bresson
I would check out the new Skil router combo. Don’t snicker!
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
"I also noticed I was having a hard time finding inventory of a couple other brands of full-sized routers I was looking at (Makita in particular)."

I have two 1101 Makitas, 2 1/4 HP D handles, very smooth action, plenty of power and probably the quietest routers out there. Found them on both Amazon and Ebay.

Doug
for table use, don’t overlook the triton. 

Triton makes a great table router. 

Duke