Leather honing wheel for mounting on grinder
I am thinking about getting a leather wheel like this one to mount on a 3600 rpm grinder, to try to finish the sharpening process, and touch up the edge between sharpenings.  Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Width-Leather-Hon...B07Z2ZN9YK

I have already reversed the rotation of the wheels, so the top of the wheel will be spinning away from me.

I use a tormek to grind bevels, and I use that leather wheel already.  I also have and use a flat, thick leather strop.  I am looking at this as another option to possibly speed things up.

Comments would be appreciated.
Steve
(02-22-2021, 07:35 PM)arnman Wrote: Mods, please delete this double post.  Thanks.

Steve, I think you will find that a 6" leather wheel spinning at 3600 RPMs will be MUCH too fast..I have one mounted on a motor shaft turning 1725 and even it can take some getting used to..Leather at that surface feet rate can build up heat very quickly..You can actually blue the steel....and it is EASY to dub the edge...I also have a 3" leather wheel turning at 3600RPM and it works just fine...BUT it is only 3" diameter....I have posted a photo before of it...The thing is...even a 6" muslin wheel at 3600rpm acts like it is much "harder" than the same wheel turning at 1725....I also have a 3600rpm Baldor bench grinder that has a 6" hard stitched muslin buff on it and it works fine once you become accustomed to it....You can buy a really good HARD STITCHED muslin buff much cheaper and will work fine on your 3600 motor shaft. If you need more width you can mount two together side by side.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Timberwolf, I was hoping you would see this thread and comment.  You have mentioned in a lot of your previous posts that you like to let the electrons do the work.

Another option could be a leather belt for a 1x42 belt grinder.  Would there be advantages or disadvantages to either the belt or the wheel?  It seems the belt might be easier to set the bevel flat against the surface.

I would be using this for chisels, plane irons, and even knives.

https://www.amazon.com/Makers-Leather-Ho...STCV2&th=1

Those are good comments on the rim speed of the 6 inch wheel.  Just to clarify, if I reverse the grinder rotation, the danger of dubbing is eliminated - correct?
Steve
(02-23-2021, 08:07 AM)arnman Wrote: Timberwolf, I was hoping you would see this thread and comment.  You have mentioned in a lot of your previous posts that you like to let the electrons do the work.

Another option could be a leather belt for a 1x42 belt grinder.  Would there be advantages or disadvantages to either the belt or the wheel?  It seems the belt might be easier to set the bevel flat against the surface.

I would be using this for chisels, plane irons, and even knives.

https://www.amazon.com/Makers-Leather-Ho...STCV2&th=1

Those are good comments on the rim speed of the 6 inch wheel.  Just to clarify, if I reverse the grinder rotation, the danger of dubbing is eliminated - correct?

Steve, any "soft" wheel must always be reversed for safety...OR the edge will cut into it and throw the tool violently...."Dubbing" means rounding over the edge of a tool, thereby dulling it....nothing to do with "grabbing" the tool...This can happen on a belt also if it is not tight against the platen and allowed to "go slack"...but usually all it does is "throw the belt"....scary but not usually dangerous.
Crazy
Big Grin

In most sharpening, a belt is superior {my opinion} and much more versatile...Requires less skill to use than a bench grinder..Shaping, sanding, sharpening and stropping can be done on it..And can be used on wood and other materials..Belts are available in many grits and materials. If you already have a belt grinder, you have all you really need to sharpen almost anything. I leave a leather belt on one of my belt grinders all the time for power stropping..And you can also buy LINEN belts to be charged with diamond spray for the ultimate polish. Note that I am not knocking bench grinders...I have several of them...but the belt is a different machine with distinct advantages, one of which is it never requires dressing..
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

There is no need to reverse the direction of the grinder. Since it is a leather wheel there is no danger of it coming apart so there is no need for all the shielding on the grinder. In fact it could possible be in the way more than not. Just work from the back side just like you do with the tormek. And for the record, I too have a tormek. I would leave the grinder a grinder.

Another solution would be to get an electric drill, build a little stand and use a hose clamp to connect it to the stand. I bought one already did that way from woodcarver. It has a 3 inch cloth buffing wheel on it. I do not use it much because I have a tormek on a my sharpening cart (Station) ready to go at a moments notice.  A 1/2 inch bolt for an arbor is all you will need for a 1/2 inch drill. A 1/2 inch shoulder screw ( stripper bolt) will also work because it has a 3/8ths thread for a 3/8s drill.

I own a building that my shop is in and I have a 2 day a month sale in warm weather. I have two or three electric drills for sale for less than ten dollars but they do not seam to be in high demand. I pick them up at garage sales and auctions as well as flea markets.

Personally I think a leather wheel would work better for stropping than a cloth wheel and the tormek lapping compound, which you already have, would do double duty. The electric drill would give you the speed needed hopefully. and the drill is reversible.

I will dry to get a picture of it later today.

Tom
I think the belt shown is a step forward but the belt direction needs to be away from the cutting edge so you will have to make the sander accessible for the back side. I know people use a belt sander to sharpen drills but the belt comes away from the platen just before it strikes the cutting edge and one never gets a good sharp edge. Just like rolling the edge when using a strop.

Great idea if you can excess the belt  from the back. but again still may carry to much speed. I would be interested in how it turns out if you try it.

Tom
I am in complete agreement with Timberwolf. He was posting as I was writing and did a better job explaining dubbing the cutting edge.

Tom
(02-23-2021, 10:28 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: There is no need to reverse the direction of the grinder. Since it is a leather wheel there is no danger of it coming apart so there is no need for all the shielding on the grinder. In fact it could possible be in the way more than not. Just work from the back side just like you do with the tormek. And for the record, I too have a tormek. I would leave the grinder a grinder.

Another solution would be to get an electric drill, build a little stand and use a hose clamp to connect it to the stand. I bought one already did that way from woodcarver. It has a 3 inch cloth buffing wheel on it. I do not use it much because I have a tormek on a my sharpening cart (Station) ready to go at a moments notice.  A 1/2 inch bolt for an arbor is all you will need for a 1/2 inch drill. A 1/2 inch shoulder screw ( stripper bolt) will also work because it has a 3/8ths thread for a 3/8s drill.

I own a building that my shop is in and I have a 2 day a month sale in warm weather. I have two or three electric drills for sale for less than ten dollars but they do not seam to be in high demand. I pick them up at garage sales and auctions as well as flea markets.

Personally I think a leather wheel would work better for stropping than a cloth wheel and the tormek lapping compound, which you already have, would do double duty. The electric drill would give you the speed needed hopefully. and the drill is reversible.

I will dry to get a picture of it later today.

Tom
Personally I think a leather wheel would work better for stropping than a cloth wheel

Much less danger of dubbing with leather, IMO....but in skilled hands,  tightly sewn muslin is fine providing it is spinning fast enough...I keep a little home made power strop close by my computer desk where I do most knife work. 3" homemade felt wheel turning 3600....

The idea of using an old electric drill as a power strop has been popular with woodcarvers a long time..and they work very well..cheap, efficient and available!!..I have seen them at woodcarving shows. The variable speed comes in handy too...

EDIT...
Here's the little motor strop that I use a lot...A drill motor would be an excellent substitute and thanks to Tom for mentioning it...most of us have a drill and a stand is easy to make..Maybe Tom can get a photo of his....

[Image: fullsizeoutput-d80.jpg]

This is the homemade slow-speed belt grinder/stropper...Belt speed is about 1150FPM and it turns away from the edge..Tracking if needed { seldom } is adjusted by shifting the mounting plate. This one can be made almost entirely of hardwood, including the rollers..can sharpen about any edge tool I use on it..I also have a factory made horizontal slow-speed unit..but I think mine works better because it does not use a jackshaft/belt drive and has no vibration..

[Image: fullsizeoutput-6b3.jpg]

Get off my lawn !
Upset

No Tormek, never will have one, 2 minutes to rehone usually.

10 strokes on a leather strop. Done.

Why all the stropping? Am I missing something?
The idea I had in mind for using the belt grinder with leather belt was to approach it from the front - with the belt moving downward.  BUT I would have to place the blade against the belt so it trails on the belt.

I was thinking of building a jig to help with this - a beveled wood block placed on the table in front of the belt, which would guide the angle of the blade (bevel) as it is moved into contact with the moving belt.

I am still not throwing away the idea of the leather wheel, but I will compare the rim speeds of smaller wheels to achieve something comparable to a 6 inch wheel at 1725 rpm.
Steve