Resawing without a bandsaw?
(02-26-2021, 07:05 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: The problem with cutting distant kerfs, especially deep kerfs, is that you end up with bumps/rises, on the material. It is not a smooooooth bend/arc

I decided to cut the kerfs in my test piece every 4".  That bent easily enough and it feels smooth.  I need to avoid the finger joints, though, because it failed when one of the kerfs was over it.  I'm going to try a shallower kerf so I don't need to make trim to hide the kerfs.

I also tried to cold bend it and I didn't get far before the board gave out at one of the finger joints with a bang!
Cake.  I only had to cut 2/3 of the way down so with the panels in place, you don't see the kerf.  Apparently the arc is steeper in the middle so I cut the kerfs 1" apart and as I went out, changed to 2" and finally 3" apart.

Glad that worked out, how did you cut the kerfs? Will you be covering it with a piece of trim?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-27-2021, 12:14 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Glad that worked out, how did you cut the kerfs? Will you be covering it with a piece of trim?

I used a speed square and a circular saw set to 1/2".  There won't be any trim.  To hide the kerf, I will rip off one half of the groove (this is 3/4" T&G flooring) using my track saw to form a rabbet and then hold a decorative panel in place from the back with washers and screws.
Did you have the finger joints glued when they gave it up, or just a dry run?
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-27-2021, 06:37 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Did you have the finger joints glued when they gave it up, or just a dry run?

The finger joints were already glued up.  That's how I bought them from the store.

I just finished up the frame tonight.  I forget to leave my two end stiles full height.  Oh, well.  I formed stub tenons on the ends of my stiles with my track saw, and glued and pocket screwed them into the groove.  It's just clamped on there now.  I need to work on the panels next.  I'm going to kerf the back of my plywood panels, too.

Thanks for all the ideas.

I'm happy it all worked out. It looks like an attractive piece of furniture. It just goes to show how many different ways there are to reach a final outcome. While there were some "easier" or quicker ways to do it, you worked with the tools you had and made it happen. I'm building a couple of Stickley dressers for my kids and I don't know how many times I imagined a tool that would make a task go much faster (pass-through sander or riser on the bandsaw), but hand tools, time, and some ingenuity have gotten the job done.

May your bar hold many satisfying beverages over the years!
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
The bar is open

It looks very nice!