Better to roll or spray paint in single room?
For a single room is it logical to use a sprayer to paint, or for a single room is it just easier to roll and brush?

Figure 
20’ x 20’ room with a second space about 20’ x 15’.  It’s a master bedroom with an attached sitting/closet area
8’ ceiling 

Ceiling gets one coat of ceiling paint. 
Walls get two coats of regular latex
Trim is painted white and gets a single coat.  

Two windows 
7 doors painted same as trim work is. 

Floor doesn’t need protection as it will get a wood floor installed after the room is painted.  

The closets would probably be more of the ceiling paint rather than the darker wall color.  

So considering the taping off the windows ceiling and trim to do the walls, and then taping off the walls to do the trim, does spraying make sense or is a roller and brushes a better choice?

Mike
6 of one, half a dozen of the other. No tape or masking with a roller and brush. If the room is furnished and has floor coverings, I wouldn't consider spraying. You'll have to paint the door and window trim (the hard stuff) with a brush anyway. Other opinions may very.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I like the texture of a roller. Some commercial painters spray and then back-roll.
How long does it take to clean the sprayer?
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(02-25-2021, 07:40 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: How long does it take to clean the sprayer?

Applying the paint with a roller verses spraying is not that a big difference as compared to prepping the room. Add in the paint wasted and time spent cleaning and I most often use a roller for single rooms.   I have a heavy strong long hardwood paint handle and can do an entire vertical wall swatch at a time so it goes fast.  I would say its in the tools.
WoodNET... the new safespace
masking off is the big issue I would guess.  If I had wainscotting and it required a lot of brushwork, I would like to use a sprayer.  If it is a large room and is easily masked off, spraying probably would be faster and easier. 

When the sprayers first came out in the 1980s, my friend was a painter.  He said he only used the sprayer for closet interiors which he did not mask.  Closet interiors were much faster with the sprayer.

Also, a professional sprayer will allow for a 2-foot extension, meaning no ladders required for an 8-foot high ceiling. 

A homeowner grade gun would not allow that in most cases and would require frequent refilling of the reservoir and I think the advantage goes to rolling.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I leave it up to the guy I hire to do it.

I pay him - and don't have to do it.

He does it however he wants to do it.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
I would roll it faster then getting the room ready to spray and then the clean up.
If I had not yet moved in, and there was no furniture, I think I would spray.   But if there is lots of woodwork that would have to be masked off, then roll.

I have beadboard wainscotting in my bathroom.  If it were not so small, I think I would spray.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thanks for the feedback.  

Sounds like agreement on the roller.  I added an extension handle a few rooms ago and has sped things up.  

Roller and brush it is.  

Mike