Garage electrical??
Running EMT in garage for some lights and outlets. Do I need to use compression fittings or can I use setscrew?? Can I use standard 4" boxes??
John T.
(02-25-2021, 11:48 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Running EMT in garage for some lights and outlets. Do I need to use compression fittings or can I use setscrew?? Can I use standard 4" boxes??

Assuming it's a damp location at worst (no car washing in there, for instance), then EMT with standard fittings and 4" surface boxes are fine.  

If you don't want to bend conduit, use offset fittings at the boxes.  

Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(02-26-2021, 07:28 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Assuming it's a damp location at worst (no car washing in there, for instance), then EMT with standard fittings and 4" surface boxes are fine.  

If you don't want to bend conduit, use offset fittings at the boxes.  

Walls are already finished?
(02-26-2021, 04:46 PM)KC Wrote: Walls are already finished?

Yes on the walls. I will bend the pipe. No problem there. I just am not up to date on all the new code changes. I have been out of the business for 10 years now. It has to be piped and I am not spending the money on wiremold. Thanks everyone.
John T.
Set screw couplers should be fine. No running water (hopefully) across the joints so compression or water resistant couplings are unnecessary.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
(02-28-2021, 11:48 AM)Eurekan Wrote: Set screw couplers should be fine. No running water (hopefully) across the joints so compression or water resistant couplings are unnecessary.

Attic above so that is how I am getting power down. No water in garage. Will keep outlets 4' high and put on GFCI. Need to power my new outside garage door lights. Pretty basic.
John T.
(02-28-2021, 11:22 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Attic above so that is how I am getting power down. No water in garage. Will keep outlets 4' high and put on GFCI. Need to power my new outside garage door lights. Pretty basic.

If you ever plan to store sheet goods in your garage, install your outlets so the bottom is at 49" or 50".

(03-01-2021, 05:49 PM)crokett™ Wrote: If you ever plan to store sheet goods in your garage, install your outlets so the bottom is at 49" or 50".

Excellent point. Have some in there now and see what you mean.
John T.
(03-01-2021, 10:34 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Excellent point. Have some in there now and see what you mean.

Allow even more to account for 2x4 sleepers.  Like 50" minimum to the bottom of the surface boxes.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(03-02-2021, 07:02 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Allow even more to account for 2x4 sleepers.  Like 50" minimum to the bottom of the surface boxes.

Will do. I would have been disappointed because I did not think of this.
John T.