Returning to the Hobby
Hello All,
I'm new to the forum. I've been doing construction,remodeling and repair for 30+ years but left the "recreational" aspects of woodworking 20 years ago. I am retired now and I'm building a wood shop in an old storage shed. I currently have many pieces of "job site" tools but want larger stationary tools so I can make larger more detailed projects. I am searching the internet looking for good reliable tool distributors and I am disappointed to see so many with bad reviews. I am discovering most have poor customer service ratings. So..... I'm looking for recommendations for a source. Where are you shopping on line for your tools? TIA for any and all assistance.

Harry
I'm considered rural, so most everything I have was bought on-line (or back in the day....by phone order). The place I've used most (for the big stuff) is Acme Tools. Many years ago they were "Tool Crib of the North", then Amazon came along and bought the on line business out. They included a no-compete clause in the buyout that last 10 years....now Tool Crib is back under the parent company name, Acme. That short history is just to assure they have been around and very trustworthy. But, there are a ton of other good on line suppliers, and it will pay to have more than one. CPO tools is another reliable place, as is Tool Plus and a long list of others. There will be some more replies with other firms, but you have a long list of really great suppliers available. Oops, almost forget...WELCOME to the forum!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Welcome back and welcome to the forum

I shop online, Craigslist, bought from Amazon, but always read reviews. There are many reputable tool companies out there. Rockler, Hartville, to name a couple

Also rural, estate sales have been a good source

Mark
I am located between Dallas and Fort Worth.  Craigslist has been my go-to.  My Jet jointer is the only tool I bought from a business.  Don't get in a hurry and the deals will show up if you are in a large enough area.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(02-26-2021, 04:09 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I'm considered rural, so most everything I have was bought on-line (or back in the day....by phone order). The place I've used most (for the big stuff) is Acme Tools. Many years ago they were "Tool Crib of the North", then Amazon came along and bought the on line business out. They included a no-compete clause in the buyout that last 10 years....now Tool Crib is back under the parent company name, Acme. That short history is just to assure they have been around and very trustworthy. But, there are a ton of other good on line suppliers, and it will pay to have more than one. CPO tools is another reliable place, as is Tool Plus and a long list of others. There will be some more replies with other firms, but you have a long list of really great suppliers available. Oops, almost forget...WELCOME to the forum!

I placed an order with ACME in December was told it would be delivered in January.  It was part of a promotion that said buy this get this free.  I was charged for the entire order as it is written yet have not received the "FREE" item which is why I bought anything from the start.  I was told I can return the portion received for refund as long as it is complete with packaging and literature.  I received an email saying I may receive the promised item in March.  I will not be buying from them again.  I have seen this same thing reported by others on the net, one person wrote they are still waiting on an item purchased on Black Friday.

Here is another guy that has the same issue
"
Josh Sinykin[color=var(--yt-spec-text-secondary)]3 weeks ago[/color]
[color=var(--yt-spec-text-primary)]ACME did the same thing to me with the dewalt trim router. Still waiting for the trim router to ship. Last estimate from acme was march 2021. (btw, ordered dec 31 2020)"[/color]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(02-26-2021, 04:09 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I'm considered rural, so most everything I have was bought on-line (or back in the day....by phone order). The place I've used most (for the big stuff) is Acme Tools. Many years ago they were "Tool Crib of the North", then Amazon came along and bought the on line business out. They included a no-compete clause in the buyout that last 10 years....now Tool Crib is back under the parent company name, Acme. That short history is just to assure they have been around and very trustworthy. But, there are a ton of other good on line suppliers, and it will pay to have more than one. CPO tools is another reliable place, as is Tool Plus and a long list of others. There will be some more replies with other firms, but you have a long list of really great suppliers available. Oops, almost forget...WELCOME to the forum!

I bought my Porter Cable 4216 dovetail jig from CPO. Competitive pricing, free shipping and decent reviews. Also, they are the only retailer that seems to have this specific tool in stock. They are promising Mar 2 delivery, we will see. Thanks for the input.

Harry
(02-26-2021, 04:41 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: Welcome back and welcome to the forum

I shop online, Craigslist, bought from Amazon, but always read reviews. There are many reputable tool companies out there. Rockler, Hartville, to name a couple

Also rural, estate sales have been a good source

Mark

Thanks Mark. I enjoy shopping Rockler's website and I like their merchandise. When I checked reviews, I was surprised to find they didn't have the ratings I expected. I did call customer service and asked about specifics on a few tools and the rep was very helpful and friendly. The Rockler router table is on my short list. Thanks for the reply.

Harry
(02-26-2021, 07:31 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: I am located between Dallas and Fort Worth.  Craigslist has been my go-to.  My Jet jointer is the only tool I bought from a business.  Don't get in a hurry and the deals will show up if you are in a large enough area.

Thanks Bill. I will check out Craigslist.
(02-26-2021, 08:21 PM)Bob10 Wrote: I placed an order with ACME in December was told it would be delivered in January.  It was part of a promotion that said buy this get this free.  I was charged for the entire order as it is written yet have not received the "FREE" item which is why I bought anything from the start.  I was told I can return the portion received for refund as long as it is complete with packaging and literature.  I received an email saying I may receive the promised item in March.  I will not be buying from them again.  I have seen this same thing reported by others on the net, one person wrote they are still waiting on an item purchased on Black Friday.

Here is another guy that has the same issue
"
Josh Sinykin[color=var(--yt-spec-text-secondary)]3 weeks ago[/color]
[color=var(--yt-spec-text-primary)]ACME did the same thing to me with the dewalt trim router. Still waiting for the trim router to ship. Last estimate from acme was march 2021. (btw, ordered dec 31 2020)"[/color]

Good luck with the order. I hope everything turns out in your favor. I try to buy local, but face to face customer service isn't much better. I give the local retailers a chance, if they act like I'm an inconvenience, I'll not be back. If their personal conversations and attention to cell phones gets more attention than I do, its a game changer.
(02-26-2021, 08:35 PM)Harry1962 Wrote: Thanks Mark. I enjoy shopping Rockler's website and I like their merchandise. When I checked reviews, I was surprised to find they didn't have the ratings I expected. I did call customer service and asked about specifics on a few tools and the rep was very helpful and friendly. The Rockler router table is on my short list. Thanks for the reply.

Harry

Hi Harry

A lot of Rockler items are sold though Amazon, where I have bought, which I like as I can read reviews there.

Mark