Returning to the Hobby
Just completed an order for quite a bit of DustRIGHT dust collection equipment from Rockler and couldn't be more pleased with the items and their service. Was able to get a UPS return tag for an item I decided to upgrade after it arrived. Have also had excellent service and merchandise from Incra. Bought some things from them last year and will probably shop there in the future. Lee Valley sets the bar for both quality merchandise and customer service IMO - can't go wrong there.

I have had good luck with Grizzly; have a ShopFox 15" planer and 8" jointer that were delivered with no damage and have been stellar performers. Also have a Rikon bandsaw that was a good buy and their CS seems to get high marks here. It was quite a while ago that I made that purchase but again, recent reviews here have been positive.

Sawstop another quality company, both for equipment and CS. I haven't bought large stationary tools lately but if all else fails, Amazon seems pretty fail safe. They seem to always want to make their customers satisfied.

Good luck and welcome back to this great hobby,

Doug

P.S. If you're looking to upgrade your double bag DC, Wynn filters can't be beat IMO. Just ordered and installed on one my Penn State unit. Smooth transaction and nice folks.
(02-26-2021, 08:21 PM)Bob10 Wrote: I placed an order with ACME in December was told it would be delivered in January.  It was part of a promotion that said buy this get this free.  I was charged for the entire order as it is written yet have not received the "FREE" item which is why I bought anything from the start.  I was told I can return the portion received for refund as long as it is complete with packaging and literature.  I received an email saying I may receive the promised item in March.  I will not be buying from them again.  I have seen this same thing reported by others on the net, one person wrote they are still waiting on an item purchased on Black Friday.

Here is another guy that has the same issue
"
Josh Sinykin[color=var(--yt-spec-text-secondary)]3 weeks ago[/color]
[color=var(--yt-spec-text-primary)]ACME did the same thing to me with the dewalt trim router. Still waiting for the trim router to ship. Last estimate from acme was march 2021. (btw, ordered dec 31 2020)"[/color]

I'm in the same boat.  I bought the battery kit to get the router.  However, I don't think this is Acme's fault.  When they did the promotion, there were many tools that could be had "free" as part of the deal.  However, the router was the most expensive one available.  I think there's a bunch of private resellers that ordered stuff with the router to get the most value so they could resell everything.

I actually want the router.  I'm debating on the batteries.  I have plenty, but most of them are six years old at this point.  So far, they are holding up.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(02-26-2021, 08:21 PM)Bob10 Wrote: I placed an order with ACME in December was told it would be delivered in January.  It was part of a promotion that said buy this get this free.  I was charged for the entire order as it is written yet have not received the "FREE" item which is why I bought anything from the start.  I was told I can return the portion received for refund as long as it is complete with packaging and literature.  I received an email saying I may receive the promised item in March.  I will not be buying from them again.  I have seen this same thing reported by others on the net, one person wrote they are still waiting on an item purchased on Black Friday.

That is a shame. All I can say is that after a many years of buying things from them the only problem I ever had was with the carrier they chose to use (I checked, they do have alternates). Nevertheless, it might be wise for Harry to skip them for now, maybe things have changed at Acme.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Ordered the Sawstop 100lb cast iron router table top via CPO on the 22nd and it arrived on the 25th dang that was fast! I'm out in the sticks in Washington state.
I've made a couple machine tool purchases from Equipment Sales and Surplus down in Auburn. They have been a good source for me. Frequently you can find their scratch and dent stuff in CL like these
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I think Grizzly is a good source for stationary machines.

I bought my bandsaw from them many years ago after much research and felt it was the best bang for the buck. I've always had good experiences w/ them and they are responsive.

Not sure if Papa Griz is still active on the forum - but I recall at one time a small discount for Woodnetters (I believe Hartville Tools also offers a discount).
Buy used whenever possible.  Old iron owned by a hobbiest is the best value out there.  You'll pay no more than half of the price of a comparable new piece of equipment.  There are only a couple of exceptions I'd make.  One is with a tablesaw.  If safety is paramount then I'd buy a Sawstop or a used slider.  Those are the safest two options out there.  Neither replaces common sense, but people get hurt on a regular basis nevertheless.  

Used machines don't often just fall in your lap.  You have to be willing to look beyond your own town/city, and be ready to pounce immediately when one you want becomes available.  I've driven 4 or 5 hours one way for a couple of machines, and had another shipped across 3 states.  Still saved thousands.  

John
(02-28-2021, 10:31 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Buy used whenever possible.  Old iron owned by a hobbiest is the best value out there.  You'll pay no more than half of the price of a comparable new piece of equipment.  There are only a couple of exceptions I'd make.  One is with a tablesaw.  If safety is paramount then I'd buy a Sawstop or a used slider.  Those are the safest two options out there.  Neither replaces common sense, but people get hurt on a regular basis nevertheless.  

Used machines don't often just fall in your lap.  You have to be willing to look beyond your own town/city, and be ready to pounce immediately when one you want becomes available.  I've driven 4 or 5 hours one way for a couple of machines, and had another shipped across 3 states.  Still saved thousands.  

John

This is exquisite advice.
Me too 100%