Dust collector/shop and sparks
Hello,
I am consider making a couple knife handles and had a question about possible sparks. When I am doing the final fitting with the scales on the knife there is a potential for a random spark or two if i get too close to the metal when I am using my belt sander. I wont be sharpening or anything like that so it would just be a rogue spark or two when fitting the handle. I have prolly 15 to 20 feet of hose between sander and collector which in theory should give the spark time to cool.
Do you think I would need to be concerned or am I just being paranoid? 

Thanks
Brent
I think you're right to be concerned and think about it.

Just to make sure I understand, there's a dust collection setup attached to the sander?  And you're concerned about a potential spark going into the dust collection system?

I would disconnect that dust collection system for the period you're potentially going to contact the steel with the sander.  You just can't control the spark once it is generated, and going into a closed system seems like too much of a risk to me.
"I would disconnect that dust collection system for the period you're potentially going to contact the steel with the sander.  You just can't control the spark once it is generated, and going into a closed system seems like too much of a risk to me."

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Doug
(02-26-2021, 08:47 PM)WxMan Wrote: I think you're right to be concerned and think about it.

Just to make sure I understand, there's a dust collection setup attached to the sander?  And you're concerned about a potential spark going into the dust collection system?

I would disconnect that dust collection system for the period you're potentially going to contact the steel with the sander.  You just can't control the spark once it is generated, and going into a closed system seems like too much of a risk to me.

Yes you are correct I am worried about my collector ingesting a spark and starting a fire. I can unhook the collector easy enough so I will go with that. Thanks