Should sell, have 4, but can't
I have two Keen Kutter K4s and I should sell one. One of them even cost me $5 and I didn't know what I bought it for other than it had frog adjusting screw and a 4 square tote, but I knew it wasn't a 4 square. There was so much junk on it I didn't see the K on it and I personally think that the Keen Kutter K series is the best bang for the buck in older hand planes

I stripped and repainted one of them. I probably pirated the 4 square tote to put on a different plane. I  precision ground them and made new knobs and totes for them out of Bolivian rosewood. And I also had a reaction to the wood so I have a lot equity of sweat equity in them. The planes came with low knobs,  But I prefer taller knobs so I won the argument with myself and got taller knobs. They are both sharp and cut like a dream and I just like looking at them. The pictures do not do the totes justice.

My current smoother that I have been using for about 12 years now is an ECE reformed smoothing plane and it is like an old friend. The only problem I have is it is right handed and some time I have to work left handed and it does work but not as well as having a left handed one also. I can get a matching left handed ECE but price verses usage kind of defeats its' purpose.

And last but not least I have a Wood River #4 smoother that not only is in the box, but still in the sealed plastic bag. Everyone seems to think thicker irons are better at reducing chatter and that VR3 iron is also a step up.

I started building a Moravian Bench last fall  and wish to finish it this summer. I have a Lake Erie wooden screw for the leg vise and The thought that the bench also needs a wooden screw for the tail vise just occurred to me. It would keep the bench looking nostalgic. I was going to use a steel vise screw. And the ECE smoother would look awesome on the Moravian bench.

Quite a dilemma to have. I am wondering if I really need 4 smothers. Actually it is the wagon vise screw from Lake Erie that is my problem. Maybe I should just sell the other wooden screw instead  or the bench as is.

Advise requested.

Tom
Because of limited space in my shop, I made myself a rule that I wouldn't have more than two of a given size of plane unless I could come up with a good (usually emotional) excuse.  Two because I want a backup if I drop one and break it (as a bottom feeder, I need a backup; it might take a while to find a good replacement).  For instance, my goal is to have just three No. 4 planes, with the third one being a Wards Master I paid $2 for at a yard sale up at the top of the hill from our house, back when our Newfie mix was young; every time I use it, I can still remember her eagerly tugging on the leash ("We're out for a walk.  Why aren't we walking?  Walk, that's what we're supposed to be doing now.  What ARE you doing, standing there holding that piece of metal in your hands?").
(02-27-2021, 04:28 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Because of limited space in my shop, I made myself a rule that I wouldn't have more than two of a given size of plane unless I could come up with a good (usually emotional) excuse.  Two because I want a backup if I drop one and break it (as a bottom feeder, I need a backup; it might take a while to find a good replacement).  For instance, my goal is to have just three No. 4 planes, with the third one being a Wards Master I paid $2 for at a yard sale up at the top of the hill from our house, back when our Newfie mix was young; every time I use it, I can still remember her eagerly tugging on the leash ("We're out for a walk.  Why aren't we walking?  Walk, that's what we're supposed to be doing now.  What ARE you doing, standing there holding that piece of metal in your hands?").

I too bought a wards Master for $2 at a yard sale. It is a #7 and I still have it. We adopted a Golden and I walked him every day for 12 years. Thank you so much for posting It brought back so many good memories..
Us woodworkers really do have quite a lot in common.

Tom