Sawstop contractor vs Unisaw
(03-01-2021, 09:45 AM)John Mihich Wrote:

I am not getting the dado module.

Me too......because I have a domino joiner, which eliminates the need for dadoes. Many rabbets can be cut on the tablesaw with a regular sawblade, or if not, with a router.

Simon
(02-28-2021, 11:23 AM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Spent yesterday afternoon in the Kleinert Kutz Hand Care Center.  Let my dado nibble on back of left ring and index fingers.  Lost nail bed on ring finger and a bit of tendon on index but two hours of doc's time and no loss of ability so i was lucky.

WW budget is about to take a hit.  Fescue and Number One Son (both in their 30's) are telling SWMBO about Sawstop so my vintage Unisaw may be on the market.

So for my information how good is the contractor model?  Is the fully loaded model worth the upgrade price?

72nd birthday coming up so I may get some $$$$ help.

I've had the contractors model with cast iron wings and mobile base since 2008 and have no real complaints.  It's well built and has done most everything I've asked of it.  Dust collection is good, but I have to vacuum out below the saw every now and again, and the blade throws more dust forward than I like.  It's annoying that the port is on the left side since the duct I tie into is on the right so I have to make a 180 to get there.  It's very rarely bogged down on me - mostly on deep non-through cuts - and handles 5/4 oak like 3/4 plywood.  Don't think I'll ever need more HP. 

I'm an intermittent user meaning moderate use for several months then low use till I have another project.  I hope to ramp that up in the next few years, but don't see any reason to upgrade.  I've been perfectly happy with it.  It's the first TS I've owned, but I have a fair amount of prior experience with a uni and also some frightening machines from the 40's/50's.
The thing I would me most curious about is aligning the blade. It is so much easier to align a cabinet mounted trunion than it is to align a table mount trunion.  Maybe Sawstop has a built in mechanism for this or something.  (I don't have one so can't say)
They used to have a Sawstop contractors saw at work.  I really liked it a lot. I thought it was a really solid saw, comparable to my PM66. No idea about how it would hold up under long term use, but it still was virtually like new after 5~ years of constant use by engineering students.
I own and use a Unisaw. I have used Sawstops of all types doing many, many demos and videos.

The only SawStop I do not like is the contractor version. The dust collection on it is simply non-existent.  I really have no idea why it is even offered. The footprint is actually larger than the base model cabinet saw, has the same motor, and if you upgrade to the cast iron wings, it is about the same price as the cabinet saw. 

Buy the cabinet saw, you will not be sorry. The contractor version is just not up to snuff in my mind.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I must be the odd man out because I do not own or have I ever owned a Uni. I am 75 and have been using a General 350 for the last at least 18 years. I am considering switching to a saw stop this spring if for nothing else but the safety features alone. I live in Iowa, anyone interested in a General?  Since we are owning up about stupid mistakes, I lost the tip of my finger to my jointer. You have no idea how much you can never do again when you loose it. Just having the insurance package is worth it. 

Tom
Thumbs Up 
(03-05-2021, 05:38 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: I must be the odd man out because I do not own or have I ever owned a Uni. I am 75 and have been using a General 350 for the last at least 18 years. I am considering switching to a saw stop this spring if for nothing else but the safety features alone. I live in Iowa, anyone interested in a General?  Since we are owning up about stupid mistakes, I lost the tip of my finger to my jointer. You have no idea how much you can never do again when you loose it. Just having the insurance package is worth it. 

Tom-

Smart move Tom - good luck!   
[Image: thumbsup.png]
Doug
(02-28-2021, 11:23 AM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Spent yesterday afternoon in the Kleinert Kutz Hand Care Center.  Let my dado nibble on back of left ring and index fingers.  Lost nail bed on ring finger and a bit of tendon on index but two hours of doc's time and no loss of ability so i was lucky.

WW budget is about to take a hit.  Fescue and Number One Son (both in their 30's) are telling SWMBO about Sawstop so my vintage Unisaw may be on the market.

So for my information how good is the contractor model?  Is the fully loaded model worth the upgrade price?

72nd birthday coming up so I may get some $$$$ help.

Wild Turkey,

First of all, so glad you're ok!

Secondly, you've given me good advice and given good advice to others that I've enjoyed for years. Actually more than a decade. I just want to say thanks for being one of the anchors of this community. 

Dude. 

You can't be an anchor of this community with a contractor style TS. It's just gonna eat at you. The dust collection and the trunnion and so on. Every time you use it you're gonna feel the compromise. I've had a Uni too (sold it and went to a large panel saw) and I know the quality of old Uni's well. Every time you touch a Uni it just feels so good and strong. You're gonna miss that. Just save the money and buy the real sawstop. It's gonna hurt. You're gonna feel the pain and might have to wait longer but eventually you'll get there. And then, every time you use it, you're going to smile. At 72, you deserve it. 

You've been here long enough to know the drill: buy it once, not twice. Who knows, you might can find a used one [..the world is strange and lots of people are having to make changes these days...]

:  )

Murray
Wild Turkey...did any of this sway your thinking one way or the other?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(03-06-2021, 01:55 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Wild Turkey...did any of this sway your thinking one way or the other?

SWMBO hasn't made a decision yet
Rolleyes

But I've enjoyed the information.  Resale may be another consideration.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)