Shop habit ---Do you boldly mark your pieces?
When roughing out, bold dark marks because the parts are always oversized and the lines will be gone.
When final fit lines on light woods are thin and light, on dark woods I try to do the same and try to avoid having any white marker still left on the wood because it's a PITA to remove white on dark woods.
(03-01-2021, 04:08 PM)wood-chips Wrote: When roughing out, bold dark marks because the parts are always oversized and the lines will be gone.
When final fit lines on light woods are thin and light, on dark woods I try to do the same and try to avoid having any white marker still left on the wood because it's a PITA to remove white on dark woods.
I use masking tape and mark on that.
I also use tape -- masking or blue painter's. Whatever is right at hand.
Add me to the tape users club
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(03-01-2021, 05:49 PM)wing nut Wrote: I use masking tape and mark on that.

I often use post-it notes. It's easier to get sharper pencil lines than on masking tape and leaves no residue.
I use light pencil marks where I can. If the wood is dark, I revert to masking tape and/or blue painter tape.

I was shocked when I once saw a guy use a black sharpie marker. It was Tommy Mac on the  short lived PBS show Rough Cut.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
The older I get, the more boldly I need to mark.
John
Absolutely. I mark every construction, no exceptions. I use the triangle marking system.
Cabinetmaker's triangle in pencil or white chalk, depending on the task.