Kitchens
Kitchens. Being I am asking these questions why not add one more and will keep it separate from the painting rooms one. What does everyone do with the kitchen walls??  Do you paint them or wall paper?? Right now mine are wall paper but that all comes out. The cabinets will be a light colored tan wood. Also what about floor covering in Kitchen. Imitation wood or imitation tile. Basically 2 walls showing. Thanks.
John T.
My choice: painted walls, and probably laminate flooring that looks like wood. But that's just the choices we made, except the floors...the current kitchen has hardwood which I don't like in a kitchen; but removing it was move effort than we (I) wanted to take on.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I hate wallpaper in a ranch house like mine so all walls are painted.  I had ceramic tile on my kitchen floor when I did it 30 years ago.  Anything that fell on it broke and sometimes the tile chipped, too.  Bad idea.  Now I have laminate.  Much better.  

John
I don't mind putting wallpaper up. 

Despise taking it off. How long you going to live there? 
Smirk
Painted walls and luxury vinyl plank flooring.  We just remodeled our kitchen.  We debated the floor but I would never put up wall paper.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
LOML put a decorative border up on the tops of the walls in the kitchen, otherwise most if painter, except the a couple of counter areas that have tile backsplash.

Luxury vinyl tile on the floor.  Avoided ceramic due to damage risk already discussed.  Not a fan of laminate floors in general.
Plan on living out my life here and this is the final time any remodel will happen on my watch so trying to do it all together. I heard wall paper is a bad idea because of the steam and heat from cooking can peel it and I think that is what happened to what is on the wall now. So that is out. The other thing I was thinking was wainscoting and paint on top. Wood floors will be a no no in kitchen for me and I now agree about tile. Glad I asked these questions. Will look into vinyl flooring. They make so many cool designs now adays. It will have a white ceiling that I know. 

While I am at it. one more question. Cabinets that go to ceiling or keep the boarder on top.?? Right now I have about a 10" blank boarder on top. I can not reach top shelves well now so not sure if that much more cabinet means alot. But what is the trend today?? Thanks again.
John T.
We just redid our kitchen about 2 years ago and the designer wanted to put cabinets all the way to the ceiling. We nixed it, like you said there's no way to reach that high conveniently so it struck us as just a way for them to pad the bill. But I will say this: it does seem to be in style nowadays.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Wallcovering is a no-go for us...wife and I nearly divorced within a month of our nuptuals trying to apply VWC together, (but then again, neither of us had ever tried, and one of us is left brained, the other right...) Combine that with having to remove 4 layers from the dining room (all varying shaded/patterns of green)... No thanks, never again...
We have ultimately ended up with wainscot and paint above, with the exception of a tumbled marble/tile backsplash...
As far as cabinets, I built a soffit w/down lights. Ceiling is 9', and even with 42" uppers, no way could I see going any taller. If I were 6'7", maybe...
Wall Paper is so 60's and it's a pain if you ever want to remove it.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay