Kitchens
Love reading these. Keep them coming. I will say this wall paper is definitely out.
John T.
(03-01-2021, 10:39 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Love reading these. Keep them coming. I will say this wall paper is definitely out.

I wouldn't put wallpaper in an outhouse.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Big Grin 
(03-01-2021, 11:48 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: I wouldn't put wallpaper in an outhouse.

Mel

Smile How about a dog house??
Smile
John T.
(03-02-2021, 12:43 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote:
Smile How about a dog house??
Smile

Maybe in somebody elses dog house
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

With the quality of some modern paint formula’s I think it’s the way to go for decorators. Some of these paints like Benjamin Moore Aura can be purchased in a matte finish yet still be highly cleanable and even scrub able unlike wallpapers. They can also be used just on the walls behind the work surfaces so if it’s a large room they are still affordable. I don’t like shiny wall finishes like I see some paint their homes. Flat, matte or egg-shell finish is my choice. With the advancements in durability of paint most of my walls are Benjamin Moore Regal Select Matte. I find that far superior in looks than the older egg-shell finish I had on the walls prior to repainting. Clean up is still easy.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
I can reach over eight feet and I don’t have cabinets that all the way to the ceiling.
I maybe a very long reach, but not long enough to snake my arm up, over and to the back of the cabinet.
I built a nice flat area above the cabinets and use it to display things.
VH07V  
I admit that I kind of like the look of cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling, but agree that their practicality is questionable.  However, if you happen to have stuff that isn't used often, but needs to be stored and if you don't mind using a step stool to reach them, they may have some usefulness after all.

Tiled backsplashes seem to be a thing.  Paint on the walls or even, dare I say, ship lap?  

What about new countertops?  People these days spend as much on countertops as they did entire kitchens, decades ago.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Bill brings up another good question. What is a good counter top material these days??  There is no center island so it is just wall area.
John T.
We've done 2 kitchens, and in the first one my bride chose Corian and i liked it well enough except for the cost. Then we moved and had Quartz. Then we moved again and redid this kitchen and she went with Granite. I lobbied hard for laminate countertops, they really do look a lot nicer than what we had in the 60s or so, and of course it's about 20% of the price of the other stuff. I lost!  I don't like granite or quartz because everything is,well, cast in stone. So if you have some wierd shaped sink (like our last house) that needs replacement and that model has been discontinued...you're SOL. I'd still go with some HPL if it was just me...it's really amazing what they can do with it these days.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
One of my "opportunities" to make money starting in my early teens was helping my dad.  He painted houses and put up wallpaper.  I hated putting up wallpaper.  We got to be a pretty good team painting, though.  He never did new construction, just interior and exterior work for people looking to redecorate.