Delta 12-560 Planer Incident (Pictures)
Hey All,

I have a Delta 22-560 (its called a 22-565 when you buy the stand too) Planer which is 19 years old.

I was planing some Poplar and I heard a noise. Not a good one. I was feeding wood through and all of the cutterhead stopped turning. I turned off the planer and I found it was hot to the touch. I noticed some black pieces that had fallen into the bed. I then removed the side panels so I could see what was happening with the gears. As you look at the planer from the front, the left side has the unpowered gears and the right side has the belt and gears that turn the cutterhead. The left side was fine but when I examined the right side, I found that the belt had slipped off the drive pulley knob. The belt was torn and the turning action must have caused the damage to the casing. 

Here are some images. 

Here is the part list. The 3 digit number has a corresponding Delta Part number. I will refer to the part numbers in my description below.

[Image: a4zfp7D.jpg]

The image below is where I placed the belt back on the two knobs that turn the belt (part 104).  This will give you an idea of how things go back together. You can see the belt is extremely frayed. It did not break but it almost broke. The black knob (I think its part 143) is in the top left is the knob that connects to the motor and turns the belt and the silver knob (lower right, part 106) which turns the cutterhead (part 120). There must be a trick to getting the belt back on as I tried to re-attach it. I was not planning to continue using the belt, I just wanted to see how it should go back on. You can see the damaged belt casing (part 104) in the lower left. I have a better picture further down. 

[Image: Y9MV5lB.jpg]

Here is a close up of part 106 which is the knob that turns the cutterhead. As I said, it wobbles. There is a nut which connects the knob to the cutterhead. I removed the nut and tried several ways to remove the knob but I was not sucessful. It may just be a matter of re-seating the knob.

[Image: EG5NQdo.jpg]

Here is the damaged belt casing. Obviously the belt came off and tore it up.

[Image: UZh10Oc.jpg]

I wish I was better with equipment so excuse the rudimentary explanation.  Part 106 which is Delta Part 1342156 has an official name of Drive Pulley. I noticed that after the accident, it now wobbles when turned. That can’t be good. I tried to see if I could remove the Pulley\Knob but I could not figure out how to remove it. My guess is there is a pin or something that keeps it in place. Anyone know?

Based on my examination of the incident, the following parts need to be replaced:

Diagram Part                     Delta Part                                                            Note
106                                         1342156                                Drive pulley. Obsolete. No options for purchase
104                                         22-563                                   Belt
103                                         1342177                                Belt Guard. Obsolete. No options for purchase

So it would appear that 2 of the parts are not replaceable. I am not sure if the Drive Pulley is replaceable. I will need to remove it to figure that out. The belt is not cheap either. Its like $30 or $40. That is a lot for a small belt. 

If anyone has any experience\ideas\comments, please let me know. I am wondering if I should fix it or replace the planer. 

Thanks, Bill
Hi, Bill.  I have the same planer, roughly the same age.  Your instance is the first I've heard of this model failing in the way you pictured.

Mine has failed twice on the chain side (left side) as the drive chain slipped off the sprockets.  Hasn't happened in 6-7 years, but I'm kind of waiting to see what happens.  

To get that drive pulley (106) off, I think you're going to need a puller tool, which is fairly simple and available many places.  That pulley has been in place for 20 years, and is a tight fit to begin with, so it's usually not going to slide right off.  It may be keyed into position, but I can't tell from the parts diagram.

If that pulley is out of round, then in my opinion, it needs to be replaced if that machine is ever going to work again.  And you've seen that parts are hard to find, if not impossible.  I'm still frustrated that something as simple as the dust hood for this model is not to be found anywhere.

If it was me, and I've thought about this several times over the past few years, if my planer suffered a catastrophic failure like this, it would be heading to the scrap heap.  Given the two chain failures on mine, I only buy one set of replacement knives at a time; I don't want to be stuck with useless (to me) parts if the machine breaks hard.  

IIRC, I only paid about $300 for mine brand new at Lowes back in 2002.  A $40 belt and a pulley, if I could find it, would push me past the threshold.  If I had a project waiting on the planer to be put back in service, I would be in the hunt for a replacement machine immediately.  You could look for an inop planer for the parts, but you might be hunting for unicorns.
Looking at your pictures the belt pulley is what is held on the shaft with a nut. The pulley should have some kind of key most likely a woodruff key, a crescent moon shaped piece of steel. My first question is was the nut loose or very easy to remove? The pulley should pull straight off the shaft, use 2 pry bars behind the pulley rock the pulley back and forth. The pulley bore and maybe the shaft is damaged. Be careful not to pry on the outer edge of the pulley. The guard looks like you could use some JB Weld and some plastic to repair it. I can not tell from the pictures how to tension the belt but something as to be adjustable to tension the belt. Good luck on your repair. When you get the pulley off post some pictures. A machine shop might be able to repair the pulley, the shaft it depends on how bad it is damaged, but most things can be repaired.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(03-01-2021, 11:10 AM)WxMan Wrote: Hi, Bill.  I have the same planer, roughly the same age.  Your instance is the first I've heard of this model failing in the way you pictured.

Mine has failed twice on the chain side (left side) as the drive chain slipped off the sprockets.  Hasn't happened in 6-7 years, but I'm kind of waiting to see what happens.  

To get that drive pulley (106) off, I think you're going to need a puller tool, which is fairly simple and available many places.  That pulley has been in place for 20 years, and is a tight fit to begin with, so it's usually not going to slide right off.  It may be keyed into position, but I can't tell from the parts diagram.

If that pulley is out of round, then in my opinion, it needs to be replaced if that machine is ever going to work again.  And you've seen that parts are hard to find, if not impossible.  I'm still frustrated that something as simple as the dust hood for this model is not to be found anywhere.

If it was me, and I've thought about this several times over the past few years, if my planer suffered a catastrophic failure like this, it would be heading to the scrap heap.  Given the two chain failures on mine, I only buy one set of replacement knives at a time; I don't want to be stuck with useless (to me) parts if the machine breaks hard.  

IIRC, I only paid about $300 for mine brand new at Lowes back in 2002.  A $40 belt and a pulley, if I could find it, would push me past the threshold.  If I had a project waiting on the planer to be put back in service, I would be in the hunt for a replacement machine immediately.  You could look for an inop planer for the parts, but you might be hunting for unicorns.

Thanks WxMan. Great advice. I tend to agree with you on replacement but I want to see if it is only a matter of replacing a few parts. 

Check out this video on youtube. It helped me so it might help you. Its part 2 but you can see the other parts on youtube. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8351R6kZ1Is
(03-01-2021, 11:13 AM)lift mechanic Wrote: Looking at your pictures the belt pulley is what is held on the shaft with a nut. The pulley should have some kind of key most likely a woodruff key, a crescent moon shaped piece of steel. My first question is was the nut loose or very easy to remove? The pulley should pull straight off the shaft, use 2 pry bars behind the pulley rock the pulley back and forth. The pulley bore and maybe the shaft is damaged. Be careful not to pry on the outer edge of the pulley. The guard looks like you could use some JB Weld and some plastic to repair it. I can not tell from the pictures how to tension the belt but something as to be adjustable to tension the belt. Good luck on your repair. When you get the pulley off post some pictures. A machine shop might be able to repair the pulley, the shaft it depends on how bad it is damaged, but most things can be repaired.

Thanks.

Great question. I forgot to mention... on the parts diagram, part 105 which is the nut that holds 106 on to the cutterhead was loose. I took it off completely to get to part 106. I was not able to remove 106 so I tried to re-seat it and then tighten 105 to see if I could stop the wobble. It didn't work and the wobble remained. I know there is a key (I think that is what it is called) as I have seen it in other diagrams. As WxMan said, I may need a puller tool to remove 106.

This picture may help

[Image: rKXxnqB.jpg]

Please see the 9:15 mark here:

The guy uses the puller tool to show how to remove 106.

To tension the belt, I believe the motor needs to be loosened. I found a video and there is a guy who completely tears down his 22-540 which is an older planer but similar. Maybe mine works the same way. I really don't think I can repair the belt housing. Its pretty bad and maybe it does not look as bad in the picture. 

The 10:30 mark in the video below shows how to remove the belt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2KXQmkY1Uk

I am thinking my planer works the same way. I am willing to give fixing the planer a try but I am not that confident in my ability. The other thing is the planer may be broken beyond reasonable repair and I am not savvy enough to know how to make a determination if it is worth saving.

I found this video shortly after I made the post.
(03-01-2021, 11:52 AM)bpatters69 Wrote: Thanks WxMan. Great advice. I tend to agree with you on replacement but I want to see if it is only a matter of replacing a few parts. 

Check out this video on youtube. It helped me so it might help you. Its part 2 but you can see the other parts on youtube. 

That's quite the video!  Thanks for sharing.  My rollers are losing their "grab"; I need to do something about that.

Good luck on finding parts (seriously).  Poor parts availability for "modern" Delta machines is one of the reasons I can't recommend new Delta stuff to anybody.  I have a couple of old Delta-Rockwell machines from the 1958-1962 era that are just workhorses.  Still, though, the RAS required a new King Bolt and I had to have a friend fab it for me.  Sad what has happened to the brand.
Bill,  I don't have that machine, but had a similar Dewalt years ago, and have torn apart and fixed a number of machines and i am concerned about the proposed repair.  You say the pulley that is attached to the cutter head "wobbles".  Do you mean that if you hold it, you can move it up and down or side to side?  If so, that could be a major issue.  The pulley itself has an inner shaft that is machined pretty close to the dimension of the outer diameter of the shaft on the cutter head and is usually pressed on  ( which is why you will need a puller to get it off).  I don't think there would be any slop in that fit up, and instead, if it moves at all, that suggests that the bearing that the cutter head rides in has gone bad, and may have even thrown a ball bearing, which could cause it to wobble up and down or side to side.   

If the only problem was that the belt somehow worked itself off, I would think that you could turn the pulley - clockwise or counter, not sure which , and the cutter head would rotate smoothly.  You may even try that using a wrench on the nut on the pulley to give you some leverage.  Again,  I have never owned that machine, and I could be way off base, but hate to have you spend money on parts and find out that is not the fix.  BTW,  if a bearing did go bad, it is possible it also damaged the cutter head shaft -  and while you might be able to find a machine shop to turn the shaft to a smaller diameter, and then buy a new bearing to fit the new size, that would be pretty expensive.  While I love to try to breath life into machines on their last legs, if in fact the shaft is damaged,  I wouldn't try to repair it,  either try to buy used on Offer up or Craigslist, or look at the newer offerings. 
This is from a different planer, but it threw some ball bearings, and he has some good photos of the bearing   lumber jocks
Barry,

Many thanks for the feedback. 

I call the silver knob a pulley but really its a knob that turns the cutterhead which is connected to another knob that is powered by the motor. You probably understand that but I wanted to make sure.

I am not that great with machines unfortunately. I am afraid that this repair is not as easy as it appears. I wish I were more savvy and I could tell for sure. I know I need a Bearing Puller tool as WxMan described to remove the silver knob\pulley. I agree with you that it should not be moving like it is and it should be snug. It might move up and down on the shaft or whatever it is connected to but it should not wobble. If you take a look at the parts diagram, part 113 is the key that locks the knob\pulley but it shows the shaft where the knob\pulley attaches. As the knob\pulley rides up and down on the shaft, it should not wobble. Maybe it is at the very end of the shaft but if that were the case I would probably be able to pull it off without the tool. Perhaps the shaft is damaged.

I uploaded a video to youtube. Do you mind taking a look at it? Does this help you at all? Sorry for the quality. I had to hold my tablet and move the knob\pulley.

Youtube Video

I have looked at Harborfrieght to see how much the Puller Tools are and they are like $50. I doubt I would use it more than once so $50 plus parts, I could easily get to $100. It just does not seem worth it.

Thanks, Bill
You should be able to get a puller for $10-15

I have one like this. https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-three...69224.html
Are there any tool rental places near you? It will be cheaper than buying a tool you may never use again