Delta 12-560 Planer Incident (Pictures)
You can spend a lot of money just getting the parts, not to mention down time. Because of the wear and tear on a 19 year old machine, and if the parts are are going to cost even half as much as a new planner I would just replace it with a new one. Just a note there are always unforeseen things that happen in a crash also.

I believe I read where it cost $300 new and you have used it for 19 years that totals out to $15.79 a year. Have you gotten more than $15.79 worth of work a year out of it? It doesn't owe you anything, retire it, and replace it with new.

If it was a stationary machine I with heavy cast iron castings my advise would be different, but it is a lunch box planner.

Tom
Thanks all. I appreciate the replies and advice. 

I am going to get a new planer. I am trying to decide between the Dewalt 734 and the Ridgid 27263. Both seem like nice machines. I am leaning towards the Ridgid as I had their 6" jointer and it was great. I also have their sanding station which is fine for what I do. Now that I think about it, I have their trim router and belt sander too. They have all been good. Its tough to beat their lifetime warranty too.
(03-05-2021, 04:58 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: You can spend a lot of money just getting the parts, not to mention down time. Because of the wear and tear on a 19 year old machine, and if the parts are are going to cost even half as much as a new planner I would just replace it with a new one. Just a note there are always unforeseen things that happen in a crash also.

I believe I read where it cost $300 new and you have used it for 19 years that totals out to $15.79 a year. Have you gotten more than $15.79 worth of work a year out of it? It doesn't owe you anything, retire it, and replace it with new.

If it was a stationary machine I with heavy cast iron castings my advise would be different, but it is a lunch box planner.

Tom

Certainly a good way to look at it.  Other than the mishap, the planer has been nice. I built the planer station from WoodSmith plans which creates an infeed and outfeed table for the planer. 

Here is a picture (not my planer or station)

[Image: G9tdFZ0.jpg]

The planer looks like a 22-560. Anyway, I never had any snipe after installing the planer in the station. I highly recommend it.
(03-06-2021, 02:56 PM)bpatters69 Wrote: Thanks all. I appreciate the replies and advice. 

I am going to get a new planer. I am trying to decide between the Dewalt 734 and the Ridgid 27263. Both seem like nice machines. I am leaning towards the Ridgid as I had their 6" jointer and it was great. I also have their sanding station which is fine for what I do. Now that I think about it, I have their trim router and belt sander too. They have all been good. Its tough to beat their lifetime warranty too.

I'd encourage you to consider going up a step to the Dewalt 735, the extra $140 is well worth it, and you'll be using it for a long time.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis