Sheet vs ROS sanders
I've excursively use Random Orbital sanders and was curious if you find any use cases where sheet sanders are superior to RO sanders?
I use a sheet sander when I want to knock heavy nubs off glossy finish on a large flat surfaces. Otherwise a ROS works for most other uses.

Another possible use is cheap very thin veneer plywood panels. Less likely to burn through the veneer with a sheet sander held properly.

Basically, rarely.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I've got a great Bosch 1/2 sheet sander.  I haven't used it once with I got my ROS.  

John
I have a sheet sander.  I might use it under paint, but not under clear.  It leaves small swirl marks. 

I was under the impression that the platen would vibrate forward and backward only, but there seems to be some lateral movement too as small swirls are visible when applying the stain.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I bought an old vintage all metal Craftsman half sheet sander with a dust bag all in good condition with a stack of new sandpaper for $10 at a garage sale. It sits proudly with my Festool random orbit sanders ready to work. It’s the only sheet sander I own and my latest sander purchase. I use it a lot on flattening large glued up panels.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
My Milwaukee sheet sander collects dust since I bought a ros.....no variable speed or dust collection and swirl marks, not worth using.

Ed
I became a ROS convert many years ago.  I was helping my brother sand some cherry panels for the kitchen cabinets he was building.  I had a PC 1/4 sheet sander.  He had a Dewalt ROS.  This was probably 20-25 years ago.  I quickly noticed how much faster his ROS sander was and yet it left a much better looking surface, with no swirl marks that had to be hand sanded out.  Shortly thereafter I bought my first ROS and have never looked back.  I still get the pad sander out once in a while, but mostly for odd jobs that I don't want to use the ROS for.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(03-09-2021, 08:16 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I became a ROS convert many years ago.  I was helping my brother sand some cherry panels for the kitchen cabinets he was building.  I had a PC 1/4 sheet sander.  He had a Dewalt ROS.  This was probably 20-25 years ago.  I quickly noticed how much faster his ROS sander was and yet it left a much better looking surface, with no swirl marks that had to be hand sanded out.  Shortly thereafter I bought my first ROS and have never looked back.  I still get the pad sander out once in a while, but mostly for odd jobs that I don't want to use the ROS for.

That is the game changer.  People used to say you had to hand sand after power sanding.  That might have been true with a pad sander but my ROS leaves a swirl free surface and if I hand sand afterwards I usually screw it up.  Face frame joints come to mind in particular.  

John