Furnace leaking condensate
Condensate is leaking on the floor from the side of my Lennox furnace.  I have had some minor issues with this unit since it was installed by the Hanz 'n Franz HVAC Company, most of them due to their ineptness.  I will not allow Hanz 'n Franz back on my property.

The unit is a propane auxiliary burner that supplements the Heat Pump in colder temps.  It was installed in 2018, just a little over three years ago, so it's out of warranty.

The leak is coming from the black plastic drain trap assembly on the side of the unit.  Pic:

A closeup of the assembly reveals the crack that I found this morning.

Have no idea how this crack opened up.  LOML and I are the only ones living here, and there are no large pets who might have bumped it in a moment of rambunctious fervor.

So, how to fix?

- My first inclination is to epoxy the crack.  This drain does not handle hot water and is not under pressure.  It bears very little weight.  This is my redneck solution, but it could work.

- I could get a replacement part.  I did some searching on line this morning, and it's probably available to me for about $50 shipped.

- I could kluge a PVC replacement with standard PVC pipe and fittings.  In fact, I have to wonder why this drain trap assembly is needed if "build-on-site" PVC equivalent would work as well.  I suppose it breaks the first rule of obsolescence engineering which is, "Never use a $5 solution when a $50 solution will suffice."

HVAC pros...and I know there are some of you out there...which way would you go?
It's a vented trap for the exhaust/exchanger. You'll get rust and debris in there. You might try epoxy until you can get the part.

I've never done it, but you might duplicate it with cpvc. Leave a Tee at the bottom for a clean out.

I would try and find out if there is a problem that caused the joint to crack first. Tension on the pipe or no support.
(03-01-2021, 05:18 PM)daddo Wrote: It's a vented trap for the exhaust/exchanger. You'll get rust and debris in there. You might try epoxy until you can get the part.

I've never done it, but you might duplicate it with cpvc. Leave a Tee at the bottom for a clean out.

I would try and find out if there is a problem that caused the joint to crack first.  Tension on the pipe or no support.

There doesn't appear to be undue stress on that component.  It all drains into a PVC pipe that runs along the floor.  

I think I'm leaning toward fabricating my own assembly from PVC.  I'll provide for the venting and clean-outs.  

I just don't understand why they designed such a relatively complex drain assembly.
I have a condesate pump to take care of the water/ condesate from the furnace and tankless water heater
No issues
Overthinking this.
Get the number off the part, google it and replace it. It's broke. It could have been cracked for a long time and finally gave. You could probably find it on Amazon. Or fix it or make a replacement part. I'm thinking it can be easily fixed with some epoxy.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Lennox engineering never ceases to amaze me. I sometimes wonder what planet they hire from. Make sure you can disconnect the inlet from the furnace side, they design some to be glued so they are near impossible to remove. Fabricobble a new trap but try to maintain the same vertical offset between inlet and outlet and definitely provide venting and a clean out plug.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(03-01-2021, 09:36 PM)blackhat Wrote: Lennox engineering never ceases to amaze me.

You are not the first I've heard say this.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

605099-07 Drain Trap Bag Assembly

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(03-02-2021, 05:27 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: 605099-07 Drain Trap Bag Assembly

Thanks so much.  I've not used that supplier before.  Price looks good; about $45 shipped.
(03-02-2021, 07:59 AM)WxMan Wrote: Thanks so much.  I've not used that supplier before.  Price looks good; about $45 shipped.

I have, no problems. I checked Amazon 1st but they don't sell it. I'd probably take it off and epoxy it until the new one arrives.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS