New lathe! First bowl
This past Saturday am I was cruising thru CList and here's a 3520 in what appeared to be virtually new condition. I replied with my cell number figuring I was late to the party as it had been posted for 3 hours. Amazingly I was the first responder.

Here's the back story: Six years ago the PO was making Queen Anne tables when his leg supplier stopped producing. He decided that he would turn his own legs but had absolutely zero lathe experience. He always buys high end equipment so the 3520 ended up in his garage. He mounted a blank between centers and turned it on, within seconds the lathe threw the blank into his face. He shut it down, never to run it again til he started it for me.

She's nearly in out of the crate condition, certainly I've seen new machines on sales floors of equipment dealers that have much more wear and tear than this lathe.

The bowl is figured maple, a block I picked up at Rockler on my way home from buying the lathe. I had planned for the bowl to be 1/4" deeper but mis-read the ruler when I checked the depth. Finish is General Finishes wood bowl finish.

Getting a new hip tomorrow (Tuesday) so I may be out of comission for a few days.

Thanks for looking,  

g

Attached Files Image(s)

I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Congrats. Great find and very nice bowl.
Hope the hip replacement goes as well as the lathe find/purchase. Beautiful grain in the bowl.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(03-01-2021, 05:12 PM)RustyN Wrote: Congrats. Great find and very nice bowl.

(03-01-2021, 05:26 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Hope the hip replacement goes as well as the lathe find/purchase. Beautiful grain in the bowl.

Thanks RustyN! It was luck to find that turning block in the bin at Rockler.

Bill, You and me both, I hate to wish time away but will be glad to put the next few days in the rear view mirror.

g

+1 on the congrats on the new lathe and a very nice bowl.

Adding my wishes for a positive experience and rapid healing for the hip procedure.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Good luck on your hip replacement.
If you don't make it, first dibs on the lathe.

You suck.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
Oh, nice bowl!

And good lesson to be learned from the original owner's experience.
Lathes are designed with two purposes in mind."
1. To kill you.
2. To make things round.

If you survive number 1, number 2 is a lot of fun.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
My lathe has tried the #1 a few times.

Somehow, I managed to get a few #2s off it!
VH07V  
(03-02-2021, 06:20 AM)Grey Mountain Wrote: Good luck on your hip replacement.
If you don't make it, first dibs on the lathe.

You suck.

GM

Dang! Forgot that part.
Winkgrin 

+1 on being the source of a low pressure condition in your area.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(03-01-2021, 07:46 PM)iclark Wrote: +1 on the congrats on the new lathe and a very nice bowl.

Adding my wishes for a positive experience and rapid healing for the hip procedure.

Thanks!! Sitting at home with a new hip. Walking around the house without that grinding in the hip is awesome!
Anxious to get back to the shop--but that wll be a few weeks away.

g