Drill press
Question 
Ok, looking to purchase a drill press later this month.

So thoughts on either a bench top or a full size floor model.

Thanks
(03-01-2021, 09:02 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: Ok, looking to purchase a drill press later this month.

So thoughts on either a bench top or a full size floor model.

Thanks

I own both of Teknatool’s DVR Drill presses, the floor model Voyager and the bench model Viking.

Both are excellent. The DVR has no belts or gears, adjust speed with the turn of a knob. Full torque at all speeds, even as low as 50 RPM.

You can set the bit to the top of the stock, zero out, and drill to a pre-set depth. They will even reverse as it reaches depth. Has auto stop/start, loads of features.

The smaller Viking is a bit pricey in it’s class, but the Voyager sells within $100 of the comparable Powermatic and with the digital features it is a no brainer.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(03-01-2021, 09:45 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: I like that having no belts to deal with, sounds like a very good tool
Definitely going to look at that drill press

Thanks

I've been using this Delta for a number of years. It does have belts which self tension. The table is a pretty nice size and it's easy to mount a fence or clamps.

Delta 18 in. Floor Standing Drill Press with Worklight, Laser and 16-Speeds-18-900L - The Home Depot

--
See ya later,
Bill
Anyone have experience with the WEN brand of drill presses?
I have both the Voyager and Powermatic 2800

I liked the Voyager so much I gave the Powermatic to my dad so he could use it.

The PM 2800 has the speed controlled via a handwheel with digital readout.  The table is made to suit woodworking more than metal working which is a plus.  Absolutely nothing wrong with that drill press.  It's a solid machine.

I just happened to stumble up on the Voyager on closeout at my local Rockler a couple years ago and snagged it.  $400 off!  

Man I really like that drill press.  It's one my favorite tools in the shop.
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
(03-04-2021, 04:03 PM)KLaz Wrote: I have both the Voyager and Powermatic 2800

I liked the Voyager so much I gave the Powermatic to my dad so he could use it.

The PM 2800 has the speed controlled via a handwheel with digital readout.  The table is made to suit woodworking more than metal working which is a plus.  Absolutely nothing wrong with that drill press.  It's a solid machine.

I just happened to stumble up on the Voyager on closeout at my local Rockler a couple years ago and snagged it.  $400 off!  

Man I really like that drill press.  It's one my favorite tools in the shop.

I wanted to see the Voyager and took a 'virtual' trip to Rockler. The DP looks nice, but ...

"We have chosen to temporarily stop taking new orders for this item as the backorder date is longer than 90 days. We will adjust this status once the vendor is back in stock or has a more reasonable expected shipment date. Sorry for any inconvenience. Please scroll down for alternative products or click the category link above to shop all products in this category."

--
See ya later,
Bill