Dishwasher component what is it question
What exactly is the thing in the lower right of the picture of this dishwasher door?  It is a GE dishwasher, and I don't recall that white reside draining out of it until recently. It easily wipes off, just curious what it means/is. 

Also, I live in Houston, which had some water pressure issues recently. No idea if it is related, or if that popped up exactly after that, but the timing was at least close (and I've run the dishwasher since I ran my finger over the white residue and it didn't refill that section. 

It an air vent. For pressure release when the hot air expands to prevent the door seals from leaking steam/water etc. It does get wet inside. There's a little lip inside that traps a little water. If it's soapy, the soap might have left a little behind when draining. The water pressure inside the dish washer is created by the pump so I kind of doubt it was caused by the utility water pressure. You might unscrew it and look inside, just to see what's up. Have you changed brands of detergent lately? Mine has it too, just not as pronounced. We're using a liquid detergent.

I see it on your soap dispenser too.

edited
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

If you've had water problems, maybe there's a higher than normal mineral content in it. Put some "Finish" in the "Finish" dispenser and see if it clears it up.

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Thanks for the replies!

Mark

If that white streak is a calcium deposit a little vinegar will help remove it quick.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(03-02-2021, 07:55 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: If you've had water problems, maybe there's a higher than normal mineral content in it. Put some "Finish" in the "Finish" dispenser and see if it clears it up.

i hate that the drying stuff helps, but it really does.  just seems like something ya shouldn't need.  
Crazy
(03-03-2021, 08:28 AM)arthropod98 Wrote: i hate that the drying stuff helps, but it really does.  just seems like something ya shouldn't need.  
Crazy

Some interesting stuff about how it works and why it should be used Here

... Kizar Sosay

A bit of real experience with hard water. Our water is supplied by the Public Utility(water/electricity). They have won awards for water quality and treatment. However, the water is quite hard. So, had a Bosch dishwasher and did not use any treatments, just powdered Cascade detergent.

Over several years there was a white film(calcium?) coating the stainless steel interior of the DW. Plus, plastic dishes did not dry completely.

Fast forward to present house with same DW----where I replaced an inoperable water softener. Same water supplier, same water. In less than six months, all----all of the white coating was gone. Still had the drying problem.  Started using Jet Blue and the dishes dried better.

So, softened water made a huge difference and the Jet Blue did help.