new lathe.
(03-03-2021, 07:09 AM)Grey Mountain Wrote: Nice lathe, nice shop.  I fully understand about "never be this clean again..."
When I picked up my lathe, the dealer loaded it on my flatbed with a fudge truck.  In the crate, shipping weight was 1200 pounds.
Took me three days to get it off the flatbed and into the shop.  Insurance man asked if I had bolted it to the floor.  I replied that anybody who can pick it up and walk away with it is welcome to it.

GM

My original post said "f0rk " truck. Looks like the forum po-pos changed it to "fudge."

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
(03-04-2021, 07:03 AM)Grey Mountain Wrote: Good on the added weight. Might consider sand bags rather than wood. Sand absorsbs vibration.

GM
I was wanting to make it useable space instead of wasted space. The area I moved the blanks out of made room for my bags of drying bowls.
Rusty, it is possible to have your cake and eat it too.  Sand is your friend.  I made the shelf into a hanging box filled with sand.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I turned a bowl today from a chunk that has been sitting around for about a year with the ends sealed.

Attached Files Image(s)

The swoop into the bottom of a bowl takes some practice to get just right.

Keep it up!
VH07V  
You may not need extra weight. A band saw can be your best friend in rounding out blanks. I also use a small electric chainsaw to knock off some high edges if necessary. Also, recently acquired a chain saw attachment that fits on a 3 1/2 inch angle grinder. Works great, and also adds a different design element. Kinda found that out by accident. I was removing some excess wood and really liked the pattern left.

Keep in mind that whatever it looks like when you finish, that's perzactly what you had in mind when you started.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
I round all of my blanks on my bandsaw before I put them on the lathe. I didn’t know I had anything wrong with the bowl. I was happy with it as is.
(03-05-2021, 06:29 AM)RustyN Wrote: I round all of my blanks on my bandsaw before I put them on the lathe. I didn’t know I had anything wrong with the bowl. I was happy with it as is.

Yep, that, and reasonable rpm will make storing sand where you might store tools unnecessary.  Not enough room in the shop to give space away.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.