(WIP) SINUOUS
SINUOUS

In the past I have had people ask to see my Embellishing processes here's some photos of my latest WIP "Sinuous"

So the third section front side is rough carved two more to go before flipping it over and doing the back side. I have also started on the base for this project so there will be no need for a plate stand, I dislike those anyway bought or made.
  There will be some pyrography on this piece just how much I've not determined at this point. There is still a great deal of work yet to do on this piece.
It is a 12" D Teak bowl with a embellished Cherry rim here is some photos of a few of the hand tools I used.   
  And of my own hand drawn design template on card stock I traced on to the rim. All the work is hand done I do use a Dremel w/ flex shaft and burs & drill bits. I started this piece 2/10/21

Attached Files Image(s)

Another amazing piece! Wish I had your patience to do all that handwork.
I’m looking forward to seeing the finished work.
VH07V  
Wow! Beautiful work.

I look forward to your updates.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Turned the worms loose on that one, huh? Nice work!

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
How long does it take you to complete that? Do you work full tie as well or is it all day shop time for you?
(03-03-2021, 07:46 AM)charliez Wrote: How long does it take you to complete that?  Do you work full tie as well or is it all day shop time for you?

charliez... I work a JOB part time, I'm renovating a 150 year old house during the day and work my projects in the evenings in my easy chair. I started turning this piece 2 / 10 /21 drew the design and made the template and drew it in the bowl rim by the 13th and then started carving until this point. I have now drilled the rest of the rim out and started removing the large pieces, this time I'm working two sections at the same time. Once done I'll flip it over and start the back side, While at the same time work on the base I'm making for this piece. I'll post some update photos in a day or so.
Thank you Eightfingers iclark and greymountain  More update photos in a few days.
Does your choice of wood for carving make a difference? And what is the wood you use. I have some pecan that I'm not sure a bullet would would penetrate.
(03-03-2021, 09:24 AM)charliez Wrote: Does your choice of wood for carving make a difference? And what is the wood you use. I have some pecan that I'm not sure a bullet would would penetrate.

I thought I had said this was a Cherry rim on Teak bowl.  I would suggest you start with a softer wood, Pecan is very hard when dry. I've carved Sapele, Walnut, Mahogany, Teak and Maple to name a few; the Sapele was the hardest to carve. Try some different pieces/ types of wood scraps first to see what you think is best for you skill level before starting a project.
Bruce, thank you for takeing us along as you create another beautiful piece of art.  The titles of your peices are as intertaing as the piece is eye catching.

I truely enjoy everything you share with us.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood