Cherry Dresser for Wife
Very nice!  All projects are a learning experience, that's part of the fun.
Well done! No doubt the wife likes it!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(03-05-2021, 01:03 PM)Bozz Wrote: FINALLY finished this cherry dresser for my patient wife.  The criteria was it had to match mine that I’ve had for ten years.  Worked out well, learned a lot about drawers and finishing, made lots of mistakes.  Glad it’s done!

Nice.  What was your finish?
(03-05-2021, 01:22 PM)Randy C Wrote: Looks very nice. I know that a project like that is a lot of work.

Thanks, Randy.  I didn’t think it was beyond my skill level, but it really was a LOT more work than expected.  I wasn’t able to work on it constantly so every now and again I had to relearn how to do some things.  The very tight drawer face tolerances were also challenging.
(03-05-2021, 02:39 PM)Willyou Wrote: Really nice work! I've done a lot of work with cherry and love it. Beautiful style. Congratulations.
What is the finish? It's beautiful.

Thanks for the kind words!

My wife asked that the new dresser match the old one and I couldn’t seem to find one that did it directly so I came up with a rather unusual mix:
1-2 coats Sealcoat base layer diluted with DNA, with several drops of medium brown, golden brown and reddish brown Transtint added.
1 layer of General Finishes warm cherry.
3 layers of Minwax oil-modified water based Satin poly.  This topcoat was the best match for the matte finish on the other dresser.

Crazy, I know, but it did give me the tone and finish I wanted.  There are likely much easier ways but once I hit on that combination I had to stop experimenting and get on with the build.
Very nice looking piece. Congrats!

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
bozz can you post a closeup of those drawer handles, are they inset?
by the way it looks great
thanks
mike
Very impressive dresser. Great job!
John
Well done. Good job. Bravo.

I like cherry.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
[attachment=33843 Wrote:wing nut pid='7962516' dateline='1615060664']bozz can you post a closeup of those drawer handles, are they inset?
by the way it looks great
thanks
mike

Thanks, wing nut!  

These are not inset handles.

Attached Files Image(s)