Wood handled hammers
To those Galoots that use wood handled hammers, here is a tip that absolutely works, for tightening loose handles, in the "non" humid season. The tip is attributed to Dave, of AvE fame, on YouTube. Simply soak the handle end in glycol based car antifreeze. According to the video, glycol does not evaporate or dryout. I tried it and it works!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Cool tip! Or, should it be warm? Here on the North Left Coast, dry season happens when the rest of the country experiences smoke irritated eyes and red sunsets. Eastern blogs lament flying hammer heads in the winter, and I see 90-percent humidity through the fog and drizzle.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
(03-06-2021, 01:08 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Cool tip! Or, should it be warm? Here on the North Left Coast, dry season happens when the rest of the country experiences smoke irritated eyes and red sunsets. Eastern blogs lament flying hammer heads in the winter, and I see 90-percent humidity through the fog and drizzle.

My shop temp is 55 to 60*. I intended to remove the hammers after a couple of hours, but it slipped my mind and they soaked for several days! Just check the antifreeze contents to make sure it is glycol.
www.metaltech-pm.com
(03-06-2021, 10:35 AM)Tony Z Wrote: To those Galoots that use wood handled hammers, here is a tip that absolutely works, for tightening loose handles, in the "non" humid season.  The tip is attributed to Dave, of AvE fame, on YouTube.  Simply soak the handle end in glycol based car antifreeze.  According to the video, glycol does not evaporate or dryout.  I tried it and it works!
That stuff is pretty toxic. especially used on something that you're going to be touching with your hands.

Ethylene glycol is moderately toxic, with an oral LDLo = 786 mg/kg for humans.[24] The major danger is due to its sweet taste, which can attract children and animals. Upon ingestion, ethylene glycol is oxidized to glycolic acid, which is, in turn, oxidized to oxalic acid, which is toxic. It and its toxic byproducts first affect the central nervous system, then the heart, and finally the kidneys. Ingestion of sufficient amounts is fatal if untreated.[25] Several deaths are recorded annually in the U.S. alone.[26]
Antifreeze products for automotive use containing propylene glycol in place of ethylene glycol are available. They are generally considered safer to use, as propylene glycol isn't as palatable[note 1] and is converted in the body to lactic acid, a normal product of metabolism and exercise.[29]
Australia, the UK, and seventeen US states (as of 2012) require the addition of a bitter flavoring (denatonium benzoate) to antifreeze. In December 2012, US antifreeze manufacturers agreed voluntarily to add a bitter flavoring to all antifreeze that is sold in the consumer market of the US.[30]

This is from Wikipedia
(03-06-2021, 10:35 AM)Tony Z Wrote: To those Galoots that use wood handled hammers, here is a tip that absolutely works, for tightening loose handles, in the "non" humid season.  The tip is attributed to Dave, of AvE fame, on YouTube.  Simply soak the handle end in glycol based car antifreeze.  According to the video, glycol does not evaporate or dryout.  I tried it and it works!

Driving the wedge/s in deeper would be a lot safer.
Boiled linseed oil works well too.

Well, I didn't soak the whole hammer, just put several in a bucket upside down, covering the steel portion. When removed, I washed off the surface of the steel. I really doubt that I will not be licking my hammer. My kids are grown and moved on. Our house beagle, because of age, cannot climb or go down steps, and does not come into my shop. But, I'll add that anyone that uses antifreeze, wipe the steel down with some 3 in 1 oil.
www.metaltech-pm.com