Dewalt DW734 Planer vs Ridgid Planer - Best Choice?
Hello All,

I am now in the market for a new planer. I like the Dewalt DW734 and the Ridgid Planer. Both seem like very capable units. Usually the Dewalt comes in ahead of the Ridgid in the reviews but I wanted to hear from owners of each planer. I know the DW735 is a beast and great planer but I cannot really justify the cost.

Would you buy the planer again?
What are the best features of the planer?
What would you like to change about the planer?

I have quite a few Ridgid tools and I like their Lifetime warranty. I also owned the Dewalt jobsite table saw and plunge router which were also nice. I may be splitting hairs but I wanted to see what others had to say.

Like most of us, I am a hobbyist. My skill level is intermediate. 

Thanks, Bill
(03-06-2021, 03:09 PM)bpatters69 Wrote: Hello All,

I am now in the market for a new planer. I like the Dewalt DW734 and the Ridgid Planer. Both seem like very capable units. Usually the Dewalt comes in ahead of the Ridgid in the reviews but I wanted to hear from owners of each planer. I know the DW735 is a beast and great planer but I cannot really justify the cost.

Would you buy the planer again?
What are the best features of the planer?
What would you like to change about the planer?

I have quite a few Ridgid tools and I like their Lifetime warranty. I also owned the Dewalt jobsite table saw and plunge router which were also nice. I may be splitting hairs but I wanted to see what others had to say.

Like most of us, I am a hobbyist. My skill level is intermediate. 

Thanks, Bill

I think it's a toss up, so if I was in the market I would go for the best price.

---
See ya later,
Bill
I had the Ridgid and now have the DW734. Both have the same basic features - 4 post design, cutter head lock, 3 dual-edge indexable knives, outfeed table, etc. I just like the DW a little better since I have 4 DW routers and a couple of sanders. I guess I'm partial to DW.

Like you, I'm also a hobbyist. However, I'm looking at upgrading to the Oliver 10044 benchtop planer. It comes with a Byrd head already installed and a Integrated digital Wixey gauge that lets you adjust height to the nearest 0.0025," something I wish the DW had. It's $700 but I feel it's worth the investment.

https://www.toolboxbuzz.com/power-tools/...44-planer/

But, I don't think you can go wrong with the DW734.
I've used both, more of the ridgid though.

I like its cutter lock, Repeat-A-Cut and Ind-I-Cut features, the latter giving you a measurement of the stock that will be removed based on the wood and cutter head setting. that feature avoids overcutting. Its dust chute doesn't get in the way, too.

The cut results from the two machines are pretty much the same. So if I'm buying one, I can't find a good reason to pay more for the Dewalt.

Can't think of any change that I'd like to see to the ridgid planer. The cutters are cheaper from amazon than from homedepot.

Simon
Bill,   I thought this was an interesting review of that category of planers  

benchtop planers
I forgot to mention that I dont like the 734's locking bar. The one I have had experience with was stiff and I had to pull hard to release it. I also had to be careful not to pinch myself when engaging it. Quite a chore to do that for EVERY cut.

It takes half less effort to work with the ridgid's.

Simon
With both planers I'd expect convenient blade changes, good cut quality, and loud universal motors.

I'd recommend taking a close look at the susceptibility of each to snipe.
This was the issue that I had with the previous ridgid model (R4330), that is reportedly addressed with the cutter head lock in the current model (R4331).  You can get snipe either from the work piece tipping up into the cutterhead or from the cutterhead rocking. The workpiece tipping can be addressed by supporting the workpiece (infeed/outfeedt able adjustment and maybe some adjustment in the rollers. This was fine on my R4330. The snipe I was seeing was due to the cutterhead rocking a bit. This could be mitigated by feeding boards sequentially.  But that was tedious. If I was shopping for a benchtop planer, I'd definitely be considering the R4331, and also looking to see what the experiences have been with the 734.

What do you plan to use for dust collection?

I guess the one other question is whether you expect to be trying to get to a spiral, carbide cutterhead in the not-to-distant future.

Matt
Thanks all. I appreciate the replies. I have a dust collection system somimwill hook it upmto the system.
(03-07-2021, 07:41 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: Bill,   I thought this was an interesting review of that category of planers  

benchtop planers

Great article! Thanks