Drill Press Question: Rockwell/Delta Radial: Adjusting for Perpendicularity
(03-13-2021, 08:59 AM)Philip1231 Wrote: I think I will bring all these joints back to their nominal position and just shim the aux table: an inelegant but workable solution.

My table, which is the original from the early 70's as I said, isn't all that flat to start with.  It was worse until I turned it over.  Too many years of gravity.  So having said that, precision just isn't going to happen, and shimming the table sounds like a very workable solution.  Maybe make a stiffer table and shim that, though there isn't all that much room to start with.  Once in a while I have to spin the table out of the way and use the base, but that's rare.  

I'm still keeping mine, though.  It's way too useful to trade for a heavier floor stander, and I don't want to move to a large radial.  Between the long arm and the ability to turn it on its side for some sanding operations, it's a very useful tool.  

I rarely tilt to a particular angle to drill, but I have a number of times in the last 48 years (!!!
Big eek) that I've owned it.  

The first real drilling job I did with it was drilling 1/2" clearance holes in the frame of the Western snow plow on my CJ5 in order to add power angling cylinders.  That's rough work for a DP as light as this one, but it did it, in multiple steps of course.  
Cool
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(03-13-2021, 09:32 AM)TDKPE Wrote: My table, which is the original from the early 70's as I said, isn't all that flat to start with.  It was worse until I turned it over.  Too many years of gravity.  So having said that, precision just isn't going to happen, and shimming the table sounds like a very workable solution.  Maybe make a stiffer table and shim that, though there isn't all that much room to start with.  Once in a while I have to spin the table out of the way and use the base, but that's rare.  

I'm still keeping mine, though.  It's way too useful to trade for a heavier floor stander, and I don't want to move to a large radial.  Between the long arm and the ability to turn it on its side for some sanding operations, it's a very useful tool.  

I rarely tilt to a particular angle to drill, but I have a number of times in the last 48 years (!!!
Big eek) that I've owned it.  

The first real drilling job I did with it was drilling 1/2" clearance holes in the frame of the Western snow plow on my CJ5 in order to add power angling cylinders.  That's rough work for a DP as light as this one, but it did it, in multiple steps of course.  
Cool

Yes, I am thinking an MDF aux table with a couple of T-tracks for clamping, shimmed on bottom. I was thinking that the radial part could come in handy when drilling for the leg mortises on staked chairs? I will report back on that one. Talk about heavy duty: the motor is only rated at 1/2 HP, but I have the sense that it will take a lot to stall that motor in use. Another piece of old "merican iron: I am tickled pink!

I will post final beauty shots when I have the cleaning complete and have added the final decal: stay tuned!
Lots of progress today
Smile
Added a little bling: less than $5 off ebay, guy reproduces all kinds of Delta decals and parts. Very nice quality. A purist would probably check serial number of machine to verify that this label was being used when this machine was made, but I don't really care!

Nice! Can you post a link?

Ed
(03-14-2021, 10:05 PM)EdL Wrote: Nice! Can you post a link?

Ed

Link to Guy on ebay that makes Delta decals and spare parts