Parts prices
Parts prices 
What a joke.   Online parts houses wanted $15 to $20 for a short section of power cable for my table saw, I mean about an 8 inch section.

Rewiring it myself....
No surprise there. Parts on almost everything under the sun are way over priced.
When replacing power cords on my sawsall and skillsaws. I go to Home Depo and buy a 25' a extension cord and cut off one end. The prices of replacement is only going to go up. That is if you can get replacement parts.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(03-07-2021, 07:25 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: Exactly, the chords are the same, 
I do that too..

I pick up extension cords at garage sales every few years to use as donors, both for replacements for power tools, and to make the occasional custom extension cord.  Most have little use.  I especially like divorces . . . where the wife sells the ex's stuff he left behind.  Got my stepladders that way.... along with a nice benchtop drill press.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
You got that right!

I needed a new thrust bearing for my Grizzly BS.  Griz wanted $19 for the bearing!  I got the exact bearing off Amazon for $7 for a 4 pack!  So I'm set for bearings for a bit!
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
(03-07-2021, 07:23 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: When replacing power cords on my sawsall and skillsaws. I go to Home Depo and buy a 25' a extension cord and cut off one end. The prices of replacement is only going to go up. That is if you can get replacement parts.

That is what I do also.  People often ask me why my circular saw has a twenty foot cord - and then remark that must be handy not having to carry an extension cord.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
(03-08-2021, 08:45 AM)Admiral Wrote: I pick up extension cords at garage sales every few years to use as donors, both for replacements for power tools, and to make the occasional custom extension cord.  Most have little use.  I especially like divorces . . . where the wife sells the ex's stuff he left behind.  Got my stepladders that way.... along with a nice benchtop drill press.

I picked up a 100' 220 extension cord at a garage sale they thought it was a hose.  I think it is 8g wire.  It is heavy as all get out but I can test machines at the curb.  Then again I have a 220 outlet next to the driveway so I can run the welders outside
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Our company manufactures components that go into automotive assemblies.

When the assembly is in production the customer orders 250,000 pieces.  We have a $2,000.00 minimum machine rate.  The 250,000 costs about 12¢ each. 

There is a $150.00 minimum for heat treating and a $175.00 minimum for plating.

A few years later the customer asks us to quote on 1,000 pieces.  Our minimums come to $2,350.00.   The material vendor has a $450.00 minimum material purchase price.  So the cost for 1,000 pieces is going to be $2.80 each whereas in production it was 12¢ each. 

Ours is only one of several components that the customer has to assemble.  So a production item that cost $2.00 each might be $30.00 after all the short production runs required. 

There also is the cost to house and distribute the inventory. 

So it is very expensive, but that does not mean that anyone is getting rich on the parts.  It is just very expensive to produce in short quantities. 

It does not make it any easier to accept the pricing, but at least you don't have to be angry with the seller for ripping you off.  They aren't.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.